Me-made jeggings, jersey dress, vest and pants. Neither my navy ruffle front jumper OR Saint cardigan in sight!
Actually, I have to admit it is finally starting to get warmer. But it's still far from summer top weather, so I thought I'd finally get round to bustin' the grey and black knit fabric that's been in my stash since the January sales. I made this jersey dress based predominantly on the pattern I used for my comfy dress, which in turn was based on the pattern in Sew U: Home Stretch.
I initially had vague plans for creating something more avant garde from this fabric, but I came up against three barriers, #1: I only had one metre of this fabric, #2: I had no avant garde ideas, and finally #3: I'm just not that stylistically avant garde. But the outcome is very wearable, and when you are relying on self-made garments alone for a given time, wearability is the best I can hope for!
At first, I tried to make more poofy sleeves, by slash-and-flaring the sleeve heads of the exisiting poofy sleeve pattern. But I didn't do it right and they looked strange and more than a little Rhianna. In hindsight I should have added a shitload more volume to the sleeve head and done some nifty poof-control technique like Karin did here. However I didn't, and to be fair I wouldn't have had enough fabric to do so anyhow, so I unpicked the sleeve heads and trimmed away the offending excess and got the poof under control.
I decided a scooped neckline would be flattering, and instead of attempting some sort of self-binding, I used some FOE (fold over elastic) which has got to be the quickest and easiest method of finishing necklines, whilst also creating a clean finish. All in all I'm very happy with the outcome. It may get taken in a little at the waist, particularly when it warms up enough to not need to wear a vest underneath, but the fabric isn't as stretchy as you may think so that may create problems getting it on and off. I'll ruminate on that one.