Monday 18 January 2010

World's Most Comfortable Dress!

Last November, as I have mentioned before, was an interesting month for me as my boy and I chose to abstain from booze and evaluate the resultant effects on our lives. There were some negative observations (like realising we have some friendships that seem based on booze), but on the positive side, we both experienced massive upsurges in our creative output. Personally, I was cranking out the garments like a one-woman sweatshop. The quantity of output was largely due to working with a lot of knit and jersey fabrics which are undeniably quicker to whip into completed garments. This dress was another product from that wave of sewing, but I previously haven't unveiled it as the neck went a bit wrong and it lay dormant until January, when I finally got round to fixing it.

The pattern is based on the stretch dress form the Sew U: Home Stretch book, with an adapted standup collar that took a few attempts. I had never previously considered a tight stretch dress for my wardrobe until I saw Veronica Darling cranking them out for her inspired Frocktober challenge. A little investigation lead me to the knowledge that hers were based on the Sew U pattern which was already in my possession. Seeing as she was happily whipping up a dress each day throughout October, I knew they must be pretty quick to produce. Her stretch dresses looked so cute I thought I'd give it a try, having picked up a massive piece of this awesome navy and gold striped stretch fabric for a song.

Aside from the problems I had with getting the collar right (the details of which I won't bore you with because they were stupid mistakes that any seamstress paying attention could have avoided), I ended up having to take it in a little along the side seams and through the sleeves. Next time I'll use a half-size or full-size smaller. But now that it is finished it has become one of my favourite garments to wear. It's jazzy but ok for day wear, it looks great with my jeggings underneath (too cold to try it paired with tights yet) and it's as comfy as you like! Expect more variations on this theme.

4 comments:

Len said...

It looks lovely :) I really like the stand up collar, very nice and chic for winter. I've heard a lot about these 'Sew U' books, another that I need to put on my 'I want this book please' list ha :) Thanks for the Frocktober link, that is an inspired idea!

Karin said...

Nice! Is that gold in the stripes? Looks great (and comfy!).

Karin said...

It looks great. Are you going to model it for us? I am sure it's very comfortable. I love dresses like that, I wear them all the time.

Richard Majece said...

I recomnend you to have a look at these advices if you want to learn more about essay hooks. It's really important to know

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...