Sunday 14 March 2010

Going Out in Vintage Style

You peops are so lovely! Yesterday I thanked everyone who has been following my Me-Made-March challenge, in particular those who have taken the time to leave a supportive comment, then what goes and happens? A load more sweet and thoughtful comments! I promise I wasn't fishing! But honestly they are all gratefully received.

I really wanted to share with y'all the dress I created to attend my cousin's wedding last weekend. My coat stayed on for most of the day itself, so I didn't get any clear pics of it, but I have some now:

It's a shame the Sew Retro 'Mad Men' competition is long since over, because I think this dress definately channels the spirit of Joan Holloway!

I was very lucky to win this Simplicity pattern 2602 in a giveaway last year, but I'm totally rubbish and can't remember from which blogger/pattern seller. The pattern isn't dated, but I did notice that the Simplicity Pattern Co. was based on Madison Ave in NY, how ironic! Anyways, the fabric I decided to use has a fair bit of stretch to it, plus my figure proportions didn't correspond particularly well to that of the pattern, so I did quite a bit of re-drafting to factor in these two issues.

The pattern had the instructions missing but it was fairly simple to construct. For once, I really took my time and got my homie Jen to carefully re-pin the darts to create a clean fit. I shortened the hem a fair bit, and also shortened the sleeves, which cause a bit of a problem trying to hem them. I redrafted the neckline somewhat because it was chokingly high at the front initially, and I had a feeling the neckline was so wide that it would show my bra straps. To keep the angle of the back V the same, it ended up shallower than I would have prefered, but I like the way it frames my little star tattoo one the top of my back.
All in all, however, I'm SUPER happy with how it turned out. The stretch in the fabric makes it really comfortable to wear, unlike a vintage dress I own from the same era in the same fitted style that has no stretch that I find a little uncomfortable. I like how it emphasises my shape but somehow doesn't highlight my tum or other body 'imperfections' that perhaps only I am really aware of. It has a box pleat inset thingy at the bottom rather than a slit to allow ease for walking, I can't remember if I've made one of these before, but I really like how it lies flat then kicks out when I move.

I tried the dress with a wide black belt, which looks cool but disguises the nice lines of the darts, so I instead have opted to add a little silver bird broach I found in a charity shop. This look is more or less how I wore it to the wedding, but I as you can see from the pap at the top of this post and the one below, I wore my hair in a victory roll effect that I didn't have time for last night.

25 comments:

Debi said...

LOVE the dress! It looks so great and what a fantastic fit! The color is really great on you as well!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I adore your dress. It's just the kind of dress I like to wear, too. I love that you used a simple shape, but did it in a fun color. The color looks great with your red lipstick, too. Absolutely wonderful!

Will you wear this to work? I think you definitely could! (How lovely would it be with a camel-colored cardigan over top? I just love that color combo!) It's too pretty to relegate to special-occasion-only status.

karin (the mrs) said...

I think the dress looks so lovely on you, beautiful! I love these kind of dresses and this one is really nice. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous dress! It looks to fit you perfectly, great job. Beautiful, fun color!

Tasia said...

Your dress is so beautiful! It might be from a vintage pattern but it's a style you can wear forever. And what a flattering colour too!

Dora said...

Oh my, it's perfect! You've achieved a great fit, and it's a great pattern. To me, the neckline & hemline says "I am so hot I don't need to show skin" -- which is indeed what I always get from Joan Holloway.

I'm very much a beginner but hopefully soon I'll be able to make something like this!

Oh, is the fabric orange or red? I can't tell from the photos.

sarah said...

It's fantastic - you did a great job on the fit! And the color is just gorgeous. I checked CoPA for you, they date your pattern 1958. Have you thought of actually making the overskirt?

Cecili said...

Your dress is incredible, it makes you dream about how beautiful the world would be if everyone dressed from vintage patterns^^ I agree with the poster who said that you must wear it again, it's such a great garment!

piccola samurai said...

You look like a movie star in the '50s. Gorgeous dress and colour, it really fits you!!!

Sewingadicta said...

Es un trabajo exquisito! con esos ajustes que hiciste en las pinzas quedó bastante ajustado y moldea tu figura de una manera preciosa. Por cierto, el detalle del peinado me enamoró.

Lily said...

Wow!! Gorgeous dress! I find that style sooooo flattering and it looks particularly gorgeous on you. Ooo and the little bird brooch! Cute!

Alyssa said...

Oh I want that dress...orange AND from the 60s = my favorite! You look quite lovely in it. The box pleat at the bottom of the skirt is called a kick pleat, for the very reason you gave ;D

Camelia Crinoline said...

Gorgeous! Joan would be proud.

Angela said...

Wow! You look fabulous!

Clare said...

Love the style, colour, and the way it looks with the coat. I would also be looking for ways to wear this dress on a non-special occasion basis.

Uta said...

Very, very pretty. And not just under the coat ;) !

Gail said...

You have a bit of a style twin happening at Gerties Blog for Better Sewing. She made a lovely pencil skirt in the same tangerine colour. She too has black hair and curves (in a good way)! You look terrific...I do LOVE that coat.

chrrristine said...

love the dress (especially the back neck and pleat), and your hair!

Ali said...

Beautiful dress. I, too, have a weakness for orange! What a fabulous color.

Hannah said...

What a chic dress! I simply adore it!

Veronica Darling... said...

Well done! Love everything!

Unknown said...

Saw this on Sew Retro and had to come peek at your blog! the dress is divine - and you did an awesome fitting job!

Sølvi said...

Wow, that is one good-looking dress, you are such an inspiration! Great job.

weriem said...

Lucky you having this pattern! I love the color you chose!!

Taylor Bara said...

You should try this service https://resumecvwriter.com/blog/parts-of-cover-letter if you want to get a desire job position. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...