When I first saw the Jenny skirt pattern on Burdastyle, I clocked it but didn't make a fuss. Having been burnt by unsuccessful Burdastyle patterns in the past, I waited to see if the purchase price would be $7.50 well spent. Then came the variations: dress, skirt with bow front, skirt with suspenders. Yes indeed I could see it's potential, but still I bade my time. Then pictures of members' creations using this pattern began to trickle in, Yoshimi's sleek and simple version, Nikkishell's tangerine dream, and of course Gertie's suspendered delight. SOLD! I'll take it!
However, what I really don't understand is why Burdastyle are offering three variations to buy, yet from what I can gather, each variation includes the pattern pieces for all four styles, yet includes only the instructions for one. If you have figured this out, please leave a comment, it's hurting my brain.
Anyways, I made my first version from the black sateen that dwells in my stash and refuses to decrease in size no matter how many projects I make from it. Not only did I use the same fabric type as Gertie's suspender version, but I also followed her queue to cut the waistband on the straight of grain rather than on the bias.
As with every experience I have with Burdastyle patterns, I had to do quite a bit of fluffing about to get a good fit. I was very honest about my measurements, which resulted in a skirt about two sizes too big, so I took it in, then needed to let it out a fraction... blah blah blah. I also made skirt straight at the bottom, not tapered in to the knees as the pattern dictates. And I eliminated the lining as this fabric is pretty hefty and has a slight stretch which would allow for a great fit if left unencumbered by a lining. Plus Nikkishell didn't line her first Jenny skirt, and if it's good enough for Nikkishell.... I love the eventual outcome of this skirt, it feels sleek and sexy and it gives a great nipped in waist effect.
Having worked so hard to acheive a good fit on the final outcome, I wasn't about to let it go so quickly so I made another is quick succession. Especially as the black version isn't exactly 'day wear' in my present profession. So for Round Two I used up an old blue cotton Ikea curtain I've had in my stash for, oh I dunno, forever. It's quite thick (possibly a little too thick for a skirt but hey!) with a nice canvas-y finish which I thought would translate my current nautical obsession.
I made the waistband narrower this time for a more day time appropriate look. I also included a faux-button stand on which to stitch these cool anchor buttons that I had in my stash. The faux button stand is something I must have learnt about at university, but can remember ever trying. Well it came out really well, if I say so myself! If there is call for it, I may well attempt some sort of 'How-to' on the subject.
This version is lined with this rather awesome navy and white polka dot fabric I was given an eon ago when someone's gran was clearing out her stash. Come to think of it, the curtain this is made of came from a friend's mum who was clearing out her stash. AND the buttons came from my ex's gran's mate when SHE was clearing out her stash! So in fact this is a free skirt! Thanks ladies.