Wednesday 16 May 2012

Jersey Peplum Tops

**UPDATED with pattern details for creating your own peplum top. See bottom of this post**


The readers of this blog with the keenest of eyes may have noticed a few garments popping up in various photos that I have yet to 'introduce'. Two of those anonymous garments are jersey tops with peplums. I wore the emerald one that is pictured above when I went to London to make shoes with Emily. The second version was made in red and navy stripes (pictured below) and got its debut on Day 12 of MMMay'12 (during which I managed to clean the kitchen and get a bleach stain on the front but thankfully isn't too bad!).


As the unveiling of my blouse sewing pattern hoard illustrated, I'm a big fan of peplums. They also happen to be very 'on trend' at the moment, which is probably why Modcloth started selling some lovely simple peplum bodice tops, including the stripey one pictured below.

I'd been thinking about making my own version of these Modcloth peplum tops and started to get my head round how to go about it, when my boss came along and did the hard part for me. Having talked about how it would be great to get some peplums into our Spring/Summer range, she consulted her pattern cutting book and created a peplum pattern piece which was included in this and this design.



So I used the peplum pattern piece, pairing it with my own modified self-drafted T-shirt patterns to come up with the gathered head half sleeve, scoop neck version using the awesome emerald jersey I got from the most recent Brighton fabric swap meet up. The colour of that fabric really is far more rich and emerald than the turquoise my camera would have you believe in the top photo.

I really love that top, but my heart had really been captured by the stripes of the Modcloth top pictured above. The way they change direction, really emphasising the way the peplum is cut, looks so cool that I knew I had to make a second peplum top. But due to my whole 'not buying new fabric' thing, I had to wait until some suitable stripy fabric came my way. The navy and red jersey was part of a large haul our charity was donated by a jersey manufacturer. Because I'd just made a gathered head half sleeve, scoop neck version, I decided to alter those elements to create a differently styled garment. My navy and red striped garment has flat head sleeves that are 3/4 in length with a cuff band to finish them. I've also gone for a self-bound slash neck line to get with the more nautical feel of it. Both the neck binding and cuff bands play with the direction of the stripes.

So now you are properly introduced to my two new peplum tops. I can't promise there won't be more in my future!!! Have you made anything with a peplum? Are you a fan of this trend? 

** UPDATE** For the lovely commenters who expressed interest in how these peplum tops were created and what the peplum pattern piece looks like, please see below. 



You may or may not be able to see that the measurement of the Centre Back is a bit longer than the measurement of the Centre Front. The CF and CB should both be aligned to the fold of the fabric. Create notches at the CF, CB and side seams to make the construction easier. Please let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to help if I can by putting the answers up here. 


23 comments:

Clare said...

Oh, wow, that top looks amazing on you! It really suits you!

I love peplums and have for quite a while, though it's not a style I've tried myself yet.

I'm about to try out sewing in jersey for the first time and would love to copycat your top, though I'm not sure how I'd go about the peplum (almost a circle skirt ... or more oval, maybe - I don't know :/ ), so you're safe from me stealing your idea! You have inspired me to add a peplumed item to my 'to sew' list, though!

Andrea said...

I LOVE peplums. Being an inverted triangle shape, peplums balance my figure when wearing a pencil skirt. Vogue has a basic peplum blouse in their new spring collection, although it's for wovens. I love the idea of trying it in knits.

LLADYBIRD said...

I thought I had already gushed over your stripey peplum top but it looks like my comment never appeared (that, or Flickr ate it). That turquoise on is KILLER on you, though! It really suits your shape so perfectly, not to mention the color. And of course I still love the red stripey one :)

Personally, I prefer to wear my peplums on either skirts or jackets, since I tend to tuck my shirts in. But now you've got me reconsidering, just because your peplum tops look sooo good on you!

Marie said...

Nice to meet you Zo's peplum tops - you're both beauts!!! I personally love a peplum as I find them really flattering and I have a peplum top pattern that I intend on using soon!

Anonymous said...

I've been into peplums too! You did an awesome job with both of your tops!

jill said...

I love the striped one! I wanted to copy that Modcloth one too. Would you consider posting how the pedulum is drafted?

Jill

Anonymous said...

I love the first outfit in this post, so stylish!

Ellen said...

I love them too.
I will admit I recently bought one in navy/nude polkadot, but I have a stash of cheap black and white stripe knit that I might have to use to try this out (not so confident with knits. or sleeves. or bindings on knits!)

A peplum is basicly just a very short circle skirt, I believe? Or a fraction of one, depending on how much body you want it to have...

Nadia said...

Omg I love them!! Nice work! This definitely looks like something I would like to try as well. I love a good peplum top/dress/skirt!! :D

Cherie said...

I'm a lurker, but have to comment on your vision here. The turq is fab, but the stripes - Wow! Love the playing with the direction of stripes, very on trend! And so creative. I heart you, Zoe!

Kate said...

These are some of my favorite garments you have made! Absolutely adore them! Awesome job!

Kim said...

I am convinced that peplums are an evil plot against the pear-shaped. My hips don't need to look any bigger!

lexi said...

That top looks wonderful on you! I haven't been able to pull off peplums as yet, but I haven't tried making, either. The ones I've tried on have looked a bit NQR, but I think it's had to do with the sleeve length being out of balance with the peplum. Does that make sense? Anyway, I must try to overcome. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sara said...

I really love peplums, although I'm pearshaped!! And I adore the stripey one!

Can you please give me a tip on how you designed the pattern piece for your peplum? I am trying to make one, starting from a normal t-shirtpattern, but I am a little bit stucked right now.. I would very much appreciate your help, thank you!

niddetissus said...

I love those! The way the stripes fall on the black and red one is very striking.

Stacy @ Stacyverb said...

Girl, I loooove peplums. They accentuate the waist in such a fabulous way. I'm working on a peplum blouse right now (with a crazy print, of course) and hope to debut it this weekend. *fingers crossed*

Casey said...

Peplums are a favorite detail of mine, though I don't wear or make garments with them often enough. ;) The idea of adding it to a basic tshirt is genius--the emerald is my favorite!

Zoe said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. I've just updated this post with a picture of the peplum pattern piece for those who requested more info to help make their own versions.

All the best
Zoe xxx

Merche Martinez said...

I never gave peplums a thought really... but now I think I might try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe.
Love your peplum-tops! Would love to be able to make one from my self-drafted t-shirt pattern, but I having a little difficulty figuring out middle-section (the math behind it to be precise) Could you by any chance post the equation?

Thanks! ;-) Anna

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

hey love,

Rocking the peplum superbly as one would imagine :) Also the love of the ruffle makes one royal fashion statement as dear old Duchess Kate is a hugh fan of them. She maybe royalty doll but hands down you're the style queen :-*

xxx

Clare said...

Wow, thanks so much for the help with the pattern piece! Think I might have to give this a try!

Sara said...

Really lovely and amazing top!!!

How long and wide did you make your peplum piece? Thanks in advance for the info!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...