Friday 4 June 2010

Floral Frock!

It may look like all I've been doing round here lately is concoct ways to encourage others to sew their own clothes, whilst not doing too much very much of that myself. Well, do not be mislead by that assumption. Certainly my output has slowed a little compared to what I can be capable of, but stitchery magic has been happening, let me assure you.

Way back, like two weeks ago, I showed you the results of a speedy stretch fabric sewing session. Well, after that burst of energy, I lost my sewing mofo for a while. You know, when you have a pile of fabric, a pile of patterns and design ideas, but somehow they don't seem to marry up? Well, my boy gave be some sage advise about 'the way being closed' and why not to fight it, so got on with a bit of mending and altering, waiting for the 'way' to open up again. After about five days, I came home early because my last class had been cancelled only to discover all the mending and altering had earnt me enough sewing-karmic-credit and the 'way' was open! Yay! I did most of the ground work that evening, and finished it off in two short sessions over the following days, speeded by the fact that I could probably whip this pattern up with my eyes closed.

The result was this tunic dress. I used two small pieces of sheer floral printed fabric which I'd got for 50p from a bargain bin in a really nice fabric shop in London about three years ago. Plus I deployed the ubiquitous Simplicity 3835 (my 8th version) as a base and used my own drafted sleeve pattern which I have used for five of those eight versions now. I think the fullness of the my sleeve pattern gives the resulting garment a nice, and possibly more retro, silhouette, and the gathering at the bottom into the cuff band reflects the gathering of the garments neckline.


I have to admit, I'm in love with the result! (And it's not even nautical themed!.) I really liked this fabric ever since I bought it, but my adoration for it has grown since it's been in my possession, possibly because my growing adoration of navy (and of gold/mustard/orange for that matter now I come to think of it). I'm really pleased I didn't jump into using it before the stars alined and paired it with this pattern, it might have been an irreversible mistake and a waste. Why is it that the cheaper the fabric, somehow the more I want to do something awesome with it?

Anyway, this all leads to the obvious question, if this was completed well and truly within May, why didn't I wear this beloved new garment during Me-Made-May? Good question. The answer is this: it's very sheer and for modesty's sake I feel it needs to worn with jeggings with a vest underneath. The do have three me-mades vests, but none of them appropriate plain or subdued enough. I did consider trying it without a vest, but when I raised a concern that my belly would be firmly on show (not my favourite feature), my boyfriend told me not to worry, that no-one would be looking at my belly (!), I promptly scrapped that idea altogether!

Well, now Me-Made-May is over, and my plain black vest are permitted again. However, the weather has turned super-hot now, so this garment may need to remain unworn until it cools down, or I return to UK (I'm pretty sure it's the latter that will come first!). But that's ok. This fabric's been waiting in the wings for three years already, a couple more months won't hurt.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That frock is frocktastic! I love the design and the fabric and applaud eight makes from the same pattern. Heartened to hear about a boyfriend who is invested in your sewing - my other half knows much more about sewing and knitting than he'd likely admit to in public. But why did he burst out laughing when he saw me sewing in my pyjamas this morning? Some things he still doesn't understand...

Minnado said...

ooohhh, love it! I also am not keen on belly baring and hate that uncomfortable feeling when the (too short) vest rides up under a tunic top. Makes me think I should sew some vests in prep for September. Love the fact that it's such a bargain fabric too.

leeann said...

That is beautiful! I agree with your comments about waiting for the way to open. I have tried to sew when the way has been closed and the results are always complete mess!

Tilly said...

Good work! I've been suffering from productivity issues too and am hoping that "the way" will be opened up this weekend...

Anonymous said...

I might be on my 8th version too! I love the style. Now I need to make another! Love your fabric.

Carlie said...

Nice post :-) I like your boyfriend's attitude. My boyfriend is usually only interested in my sewing when I end up at the machine in my underwear in between "fittings".

So glad you have a successfull garment as the outcome.

Diane said...

The tunic is very cute, I think you could wear it sooner if you pair it with some slim-legged shorts or capris. I at least have a hard time being patience when I have a pretty new self made item to wear :)

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I love it. I am making a fleshtone slip for dresses like this.
Angela

Ally said...

Gorgeous dress! Am tackling the same simplicity pattern as a first try sometime the coming week - really looking forward to it!

Which lovely fabric shop in London? Apart from Fabricland (in Kingston - am a regular customer) and Rolls & Rems (in Lewisham - which I haven't been to yet) I haven't come across anything yet.

Do you have any tips on where to get interesting fabrics in London?

Karin van Dam said...

Beautiful. And even though I almost can't see orange anymore (everything is orange here in preperation for the Soccer Championships) I really love the fabric you used!

Alyssa said...

What a great fabric, and your execution with it is, well, great! Looks like something I'd buy for myself at the store (and I mean that in a complimentary way, I swear :P)

Tasia said...

Looove the fabric! The colour combination is so fun, I love orange and yellow together and the simple design lines are perfect.

And I totally know the feeling when the perfect fabric aligns with the right pattern and you're SO glad you didn't accidentally cut your fabric up into the wrong thing :)

jessica said...

Gorgeous!

yumiax said...

The dress is gorgeous!!! I love the fabric, worth wait for 3 years!

Ali said...

so pretty! love the color and fabric: the print, against the dark color, makes it bold and sassy. :)

Zoe said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. Reagarding where to buy fabric in London, there is really only one place to go in my opinion. Goldhawk Road (near Shepards Bush). Seriously, there are so many great fabric shops next to each other alone both sides of the road. Some are high end, some are cheap, all are worth a look!

Ally said...

Zoe, Goldhawk Road here I come! Thanks for the tip! I'm all giddy now! Birthday's next week and I think a present to myself is due... :)
Wohoooo!

Gail said...

Gorgeous, but what's new. I love all your stuff.

Jana @ Weekend Vintage said...

I'm in love with this print!
Jana

Unknown said...


Very nice post.
Designer dress in Mumbai

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...