Tuesday 14 August 2012

Sailor Moon Top


Last month I shared a sailor collar T-shirt idea as part of my regular Refashion Friday feature which was created from a secondhand T-shirt and men's button-up shirt. As you may have noticed, I'm a big fan of nautical style garments, and I found it impossible to resist the urge to make myself one too. 


I set to work making a short sleeved version that used a blue men's shirt with subtle red stripes for the collar. But it was bugging me for ages what exactly the finished garment was reminding me of. Finally I figured it out: 


The Japanese manga cartoon franchise, Sailor Moon! That's it! I'd inadvertently made a real-life, grown-up version of the main character's signature outfit. How did that happen?! 


The town I grew up in had one of those shops that sells all sorts of Chinese mass-produced plastic stuff, and often stocked knock-offs of official products or goods that were incorrect or damaged in some way. I can't really remember the exact circumstances, but when we were in our late teens, my friend Anna had a plastic figurine of the magical princess bought from that shop because Anna is really tall with blue eyes and at the time and had the same super-long blonde hair. Hmm, maybe I should send her this top and get her to bleach her (now brunette) hair back to blonde and send her off to fight evil with her magical powers!




8 comments:

LLBB said...

HA! Love it, all around.

Catherine Daze said...

That's such a cute top!

CarmencitaB said...

Lovely top! Too too cute!

Bex said...

Adorable top! Perfect with those cropped pants.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is seriously cute!

Marghe said...

You are the exact copy of sailor moon!!!!!!!! I have never known a person in love with nautical style like you!!! anyway good job!

Kate said...

So cute! I want one! I'll have to go hunting the thrift stores for a sailor collar pattern. Great job as always Zoe!

Miss Emmi said...

I wish I grew up in Japan sometimes just so I could wear the uniform. Many schools have sailor collars and they are super cute! I wonder if it comes from the time period they abandoned their isolationist policy?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...