Saturday 6 February 2010

Chicken Dress RIP, Welcome Bedsheet Dress

I must share with you a tale that contains within a greater truth. (Sitting comfortably? There are highs and lows in this story so you need to be correctly positioned). You may or may not be familiar with the awesomeness that is known to it's friends as 'The Chicken Dress'. To summarise, The Chicken Dress was created by myself for my best mate Vic to keep her suitably clothed during her expedition to foreign lands (Thailand and Oz). These photos are of the time both Vic and The Chicken Dress spent in Thailand (look at the scene behind Vic's shoulder in the pic below! AMAZING!).


In fact, one of Vic's first emails she sent upon arrival in Thailand was to let me know that the hotel they were staying in had it's own chicken coop! Attempts were made to capture the dress with a real life chicken tableux behind, be alas it was not to be.


Ok, this is the bit when you need to be comfortable, not holding hot liquids precariously close to a laptop or such. A couple of weeks ago I received word from Vic (who by this point was staying with friends in Brisbane) of a very sad nature. She was barely able to type the words, so filled with sorrow was she, to explain the terrible hot iron related event that caused the death of The Chicken Dress. Tragic times.


In fact, a similar fate befell the top I'm wearing in the picture above. Yeah that's right, that's me and Vic in 1999! (Don't ask about the fringe.) Anyway. What Vic and I have garnered from this tale is thus: The star that shines twice as bright, shines half as long. A sad truth.



But wait. There is another. Well, not another as such, lightning never strikes twice. However, whilst this melancholy news was being transmitted to me, I was actually in the process of cutting out another Anda dress for Vic from her old bedsheet. May I present:






Clearly, this new Bedsheet Dress is by no means meant as a replacement to The Chicken Dress. But let's hope it goes some way towards easing the pain of loss.

10 comments:

ButterPeanut said...

I love that fabric so much!! It looks just like the wallpaper at my grandma's house...so great. :)

fantastic job!

Kaith Ladios said...

Was that from a bed sheet? The print is so lovely and you sewed it so well!! I think I'm going to ask my husband to buy me the Anda pattern too!

Veronica Darling... said...

I love it! (poor chicken dress though :( )

Did you use bias binding on the neckline? I'm trying to work out what the white bits are!

xoxo

naughty little pony said...

I have to tall you...another chicken dress lives! and this story has inspired me to finish it!

Kat said...

oh the poor chicken dress! But the new dress is fantastic. I love the fabric.

Zoe said...

Thanks for the lovely comments peops! In response to Darling Veronica's question, I made bias binding for the neck and arm holes from the plain section of the fabric. The method I use is to cut strips 4 cms wide and attach them together, then iron it in half, then open it out again and fold the edges to meet the centre crease and iron it flat again. Hope that explains things! xxx

Anonymous said...

It was truly sad about the chicken dress (the iron has gone to heaven as well). The bed sheet dress is amazing it looks better as a dress than on a bed. You're so clever. : )

E said...

I love the chicken fabric, but the new pattern is just as lovely. And the cut of the shoulders...they lay so nice on her.

ana alves said...

the chicken dress was GREAT! But the new bed sheet dress is FANTASTIC, if your freind does not like it send it to me.

Leeya Engel said...

That is so gorgeous! I wish I had one jut like it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...