Thursday 7 March 2013

Lady-like Pussy Bow Blouse


I would like to introduce you to my second successfully wearable me-made garment of 2013: a most lady-like pussy bow blouse! Although something of a departure from my usual style, I can definitely declare this a success because I've already worn it twice, and I only finished it yesterday afternoon! 


So what am I doing spending time making garments that I don't consider to be my style? Well in a couple of weeks time I'm going to be teaching a class at Sew Over It to make this pussy bow blouse, and I needed to test the pattern and help perfect the instructions so that I would feel comfortable teaching it, in much the same vein as the 'Ultimate Trousers'. I've had this slinky synthetic fabric in my stash since last Summer, and I had no idea what to do with it, so this seemed as good a use as any. I've still got half of the fabric left, so I can use it whilst messing around with another pattern in the future. What I like the most about it is that the print features giant elaborate bows, which I thought was firmly in keeping with a pussy bow style.


I'm actually really into the result. The blouse feels really nice to wear, in a grown up kind of way. The navy and cream print fabric goes well with flashes of mustard and hopefully red, which I have in abundance in my wardrobe. I'll experiment with tucking it in to see what kind of look that gives. 


This blouse pattern is a really good blank canvas for a busy print like this, it really lets the fabric steal the show. I like how the direction of the stripes changes from vertical to horizontal on the bow itself. I'm not sure whether or not this blouse pattern will be one of the designs Sew Over It plan to release as home sewing patterns, so unfortunately the only way you can currently make your own is by joining us for the class.

In other news: say goodbye to the infamous Red Door! Yep we are moving flats this week, goodness knows what backdrop/s our new gaff will offer up. I will certainly miss this door: it works so well with most of my outfits! However, hopefully my next outfit-photographing backdrop will allow me to stop posing on the street with passersby gawping at us mid-shoot every time!

21 comments:

Kirsty said...

I love it! Agre that it really allows the material to shine. Congrats on another 'wearable' item!

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Love the new blouse on you Zoe :)

wendy said...

Very classy Zoe! Good luck with the move :)

Tilly said...

Beautiful! x

Merche Martinez said...

Hi, Zoe! I love your new blouse. It is so interesting and you made a great choice with the fabrics. Very wearable!

shivani said...

this is lovely Zoe - and it looks great on you, even though it is a departure from your usual style.

Anonymous said...

This is admittedly off topic: could you tell us about those yellow shoes ?

Thewallinna said...

Clap clap! Such a successful combination of fabric and style! I am always impressed by your creative self! Life is not boring with people like you!

Good luck with the move!

Tamsin said...

great blouse and choice of fabric! Good luck with the move.

Dora said...

Good job on the blouse! I love how you try new things :) May I inquire about the shoes? They are AWESOME.

Melissa said...

The fabric is fabulous and you are right, the shirt lets it shine - love it.

Molly said...

You look so put together, very nice make!

Scruffybadger said...

Really great fabric choice Zoe, and that it is a pussy bow rocks my boat completely!! Hope the move (went) goes well!!

Sew little time said...

gorgeous blouse! good luck with the move and goodbye red door!

Marie said...

I seriously love this Zo, even if you do say it's not your usual style. It could totally be though now, it looks fab on you! Good luck with the move too, xxx

Adrienne said...

You say it's a departure from your usual style, but something about the graphic and stripes in the fabric still make it very Zoe. I love it, and love the yellow shoes.

Anonymous said...

I love how it came together, so I'm glad this top has become more than just a muslin! All those bows seem perfect in an imperfect way!

Cirque Du Bebe said...

Really cute Zo! So nice when you hit the jackpot and actually love something you make enough to wear it heaps!

Unknown said...

Love this on you! I like how this class is forcing you to try stuff you wouldn't normally. I need to try something new for sure!
Px

Jane M said...

Wow, wonderful top, very stylish.

LLADYBIRD said...

I about died when I saw this on Twitter - it's so fabulous, I love it! Really clever how you used such a large print to make up the top; I never would have thought of that myself but it turned out gorgeous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...