Friday 14 September 2012

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Bow Detail Jeans Cutoffs / Denim Shorts


I must admit it feels a little odd writing a post about little denim shorts just as everyone in the UK reaches for their Winter cardigans, however these posts are not Northern-Hemisphere-centric. Plus there are, of course, heaps of people who live in places that get lots of sun all year round. So anyway, today's Refashion Friday inspiration is a slightly cuter and smarter version of the standard 'hack the legs of your jeans' style shorts. 


The first step, however, it to do just that: hack the legs off your old pair of jeans! I then overlocked/serged the raw edge and hemmed it to create a neater look than the usual frayed edge of cut offs. (I promise the legs are actually even in length, despite how they may look in the above two photos!)


I wanted to play with some contrasting fabrics to form the side bows. I used two types of spare quilting cotton, a red one with little white polka dots for the main part of the bow, and strips of a contrast floral print to make the centre 'knot' section. 


All that was left to do was to hand tack the bows close to the bottom edge of the shorts at the side seams. For real versatility, you could attached the bows using poppers/press studs and make a range of different coloured/patterned bows. Then the outfit combos would be limitless!


6 comments:

Bex said...

Adorable! I love the idea of making interchangeable bows.

engelsk översättning said...

The idea of interchangeable bows are great, just just change to match a new top!
Linda

Elisalex said...

Really pretty! I must say I've never been a big fan of distressed denim, so these make a lovely change! And that floral fabric is amazing - brings back childhood memories of Tyrolean dresses and lederhosen...

la inglesita said...

I´m too boring to wear these cute shorts but I know two little girls who would looooove them! plus, It´s still hot down here :)
thanks
María

Bri said...

This is such a cute DIY, I was thinking that too about winter coming but there's always those warm getaways!

Anonymous said...

now this is a good refashion because I have never seen it done. Who cares if fall and winter are on their way. Jean shorts are such a staple that this refashion could be justified any time of the year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...