So, seeing as this week this blog is getting a little more exposure than usual (according to Google Analytics) now seems a good time to announce my new project. Largely inspired by the Makeshift project which I discussed here, and a desire to challenge myself by pushing my sewing skills up a notch AND to put my money where my mouth is about striving to be more self-sufficient, I have decided to wear only clothes that I have made myself throughout March. I’m not going as all-out hardcore as Natalie (Makeshift), I am making some exceptions: I will not be attempting to make my own bras, hosiery (love that word), socks or footwear. But a challenge it remains.
Obviously, my wardrobe has a fair few handmade garms in it already, but there are some garment requirements I will need to get made:
- Pants. I think I'll need to get a minimum of three pairs made before March 1st.
- Vest. I spend most of the year freezing, so I like to get my layer on!
- Sleepwear. I already made one pair of Jane pyjamas, but I want to make something/s else so I can alternate.
- Trousers. I have my jeggings, but to be honest my treggings are a little too tight. I'm going to need another pair of trousers for day wear.
- Jacket and/or coat.
- Cardigan. As I mentioned, I loves me some layers. This one is going to be a real challenge to make something halfway wearable.
- Dress. My cousin is getting married in March so I've got to make something fancy. I'm really looking forward to this creation!
If there's time and fabric, I'll also attempt a skirt for day wear and a dressing gown. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions regarding this project, I would love to hear them! Has anyone tried anything similar?