Friday 2 August 2024

Free Pattern Friday: Cabana Tie Playsuit for Adults


Welcome to my monthly 'Free Pattern Friday' feature, where I road test a free sewing pattern or tutorial: sometimes a children's one, sometimes an adult's one. I try to publish these posts every first Friday of the month, timed to provide inspiration for those who plan to get their sew on over the weekend. I firmly believe that, if you pick your projects carefully, sewing doesn't have to be a crazy-expensive way to clothe yourself and your family. Thanks to all the amazing pattern designers who have offered up their hard work for us to enjoy for free.



As I type this, my part of the UK is experiencing its hot and sticky phrase of the year. I'm so happy I had the foresight/luck to make this playsuit in advance, because it's all I want to wear right now. If your part of the world has its own hot and sticky phase, I recommend you download this pattern. In fact, even if your area doesn't really have a phase like that, download this anyway because it looks cute worn with a T-shirt underneath. You can access the Cabana Tie Playsuit pattern via the Matchy Matchy Sewing Club website by going through their cart and check out process, as you would with any other order. This pattern is available on a sliding scale, pay-what-you-can situation, from $14 to free. If you have the means to pay for this pattern, please choose a paid option. If you don't, then I really hope you access this pattern for free, and enjoy making and wearing it. Big thanks to Matchy Matchy Sewing Club for sharing this accessible sewing pattern with the sewing community. 



Pattern type:

The website says it best: 'The Cabana Tie Playsuit is an easy to sew, effortless jumpsuit. The fit is slightly oversized and relaxed with wide, voluminous legs and a dropped crotch. It includes inseam pockets and a drawstring style shoulder strap that can be adjusted to your desired length and finished off in a large bow or knot.' The original pattern is ankle length, however, I cropped mine by about 20cms because I prefer the proportions of calf length with this type of garment. 


Sizing info:

As with all MMSC patterns, this one is generously graded. It includes sizes XXS - 6XL, which corresponds to Bust 31” - 64” / 79cm - 162cm. The loose, gathered nature of this pattern gives you lots of wiggle room, so you don't need to stress too much if you find yourself in between sizes. 




Fabric info:

The one downside of the MMSC website is the don't give much recommendation for suitable fabrics. They link to some fabrics that they sell, so you can to read between the lines a bit for fabric advice. For the Cabana they link to their linens, however, I would really recommend looking for very drape-y fabrics. I used a light-weight woven viscose with slightly slubby texture that I got at the London Destash Fabric Swap earlier this year. I'm not massively into wearing prints, but this garment could be a great canvas for a large-scale print. 





Findings:

This is my second experience sewing a Matchy Matchy pattern, and it was just as enjoyable as my first. The instructions are super clear, with excellent illustrations to guide you through. Even though this is a free/low-cost pattern, it produces a garment that is anything but basic. It feels really nice to wear, both in terms of comfort and in terms of feeling stylish. I don't have a well-fitting strapless bra at the moment, so in these photos you can see I'm wearing a regular bra which should give you an idea of the coverage of this pattern. Today I'm wearing it with  slim-fitting T-shirt underneath because it's a little (only a little) cooler. 




Customisation ideas:
  • Mess around with the leg lengths to get the perfect level for you. 
  • Try turning it into a dress or top
  • Rather than using self-fabric for the tie, use a contrasting fabric, or wide ribbon or rope. 

Would I make this again?

I would absolutely consider using this pattern again if the right fabric came my way. A slinky, solid black version would be lovely...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...