Friday 14 February 2020

Leopard Print Cardi: So Very Neutral


Here is the result of a recent experiment. I've been testing the limits of the popular theory that leopard print in a neutral. What could blend in to a wardrobe more easily than a simple, leopard print cardigan? See? I bet you hardly even noticed it in these photos!


Fabric:

So I've been regularly working part-time at Fabric Godmother for about a year and a half now (before that I would occasionally help out at their open days, plus I taught some classes there when they were running those). During the first year of the regular gig, being in close proximity to all the lovely fabric (plus access to a generous staff discount) meant that I bought more pieces of fabric that I'm entirely comfortable admitting to. Not a wild amount, but neither did I wait until I used each piece before I bought another. But then I got ahold of myself and put the breaks on. At the end of that first year, I vowed only to buy something if it is truly special, and when this leopard print ponte di Roma came along, I knew at a glance that it definitely fell into that category. 


This fabric is produced by German fabric company Albstoffe, who have a GOTS certification, meaning that their cotton fibres are grown organically and the fabric production passes a series of sustainable, ethical and fair trade requirements. It is also A-MAZING quality and (for some, including me) eye-wateringly expensive without the aforementioned staff discount.


So having bagged myself 1.5m of this special fabric, I really wanted to do it justice. How to turn it into a garment that would show off its attributes well, and also see a lot of use? One part of me envisioned some sort of awesome sweatshirt style top, with or without a ruffle thrown in to the plans. But ultimately, knowing how I like to dress, I decided a cardigan would get way more use. 


Pattern:

So having landed on a cardigan as my chosen garment style, I mulled over the question of what attributes the cardigan should have. I wanted something fairly loose that would fit over a variety of blouses, tops and dresses. There's a lot I love about Wendy Ward's Kinder cardigan pattern, likewise with the Ready to Sew Jamie cardigan pattern. But there are also a couple of things that I don't love about both. So I set about drafting my own cardigan pattern, that took inspiration from both, but ultimately had its own proportions and volume. Kind of like the Kinder and Jamie had a baby, if you will. 


Having finished the drafting process, I made a (hopefully) wearable toile in some ponte from my stash, so I could test out my design before cutting into the precious. I was so happy with the outcome that I decided zero tweaks to the pattern needed to be made. I'm going to send the wearable toile to a friend who loves a good cardi almost as much as I do!


Thoughts:

I'm soooo glad that I took the time to allow plans for this fabric to fully formulate. I love the final shape and style of this cardigan; it's exactly the type of garment I want to wear right now. I think it shows the crazy leopard print design off well; I deliberately chose to avoid patch pockets so as not to disrupt it too much. And the fabric feels sooooo nice to wear. My only hurdle now is to work out how to incorporate it into some outfits that don't always involve pairing it with a black top....

10 comments:

KS_Sews (Dressmakingbacles) said...

That is a super cool print and your cardigan looks great!

I think if you pair it with matching pants, you can coordinate the top in a different color.

A matching yellow top works or gray...teals/blues could work. A very fine b/w or b/g stripe works too I'd think! I'd wear something coral-y but I'd wear coral with almost anything :-p

Zoë said...

LOVE IT! What a great print, looks so good x

Admin said...

Very nice post.
Sugar & Coco

Fabric Tragic said...

You’ve done so well! It looks perfect! Xx

Unknown said...

As stated by Stanford Medical, It's in fact the SINGLE reason this country's women live 10 years more and weigh 42 lbs lighter than we do.

(And really, it really has NOTHING to do with genetics or some hard exercise and absolutely EVERYTHING to do with "HOW" they eat.)

BTW, I said "HOW", and not "what"...

Tap on this link to see if this easy test can help you find out your true weight loss possibilities

hrroman said...

If you are stuck with your management assignment then in this case you can opt for our Doctoral Dissertation Help. we provide the bestassignment help.We also provide Dissertation Thesis Help for students across the globe. for more information contact us +16692714848.

Anonymous said...

HOW DO I GET MY DIVORCE EX HUSBAND BACK IMMEDIATELY
Hello I'm Edna Willing-ham From New Jersey, I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr KEKE ODIN has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr KEKE ODIN Email on the internet posted by a lady he helped, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help. To my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr KEKE ODIN is truly a real spell caster. Contact Dr KEKE ODIN now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email greatkekespelltemple@gmail.com Also specialize in1) love Spell2) Spells divorce3) Spells of marriage4.) pregnancy problems5)Best Mega Lotto Spell contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution via
greatkekespelltemple@gmail.com


HOW DO I GET MY DIVORCE EX HUSBAND BACK IMMEDIATELY
Hello I'm Edna Willing-ham From New Jersey, I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr KEKE ODIN has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr KEKE ODIN Email on the internet posted by a lady he helped, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help. To my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr KEKE ODIN is truly a real spell caster. Contact Dr KEKE ODIN now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email greatkekespelltemple@gmail.com Also specialize in1) love Spell2) Spells divorce3) Spells of marriage4.) pregnancy problems5)Best Mega Lotto Spell contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution via
greatkekespelltemple@gmail.com

Sharon Wayne said...

I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help.

Rose Mile said...


Getting your lover or your ex back has been made more easy by this powerful spell caster called Dr Odion. I am Rose by name and i am from canada, the only reason why i am on this site is to thank this powerful spell caster called DR. Odion and you can improve your relationship success by contacting him through these details (wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com Or call +2348136482342) This powerful spell caster did me a huge favor by helping me get my lover back to me within the speed of light and since then my relationship has been perfect.

any problem of yours.He is specialized in the following:

(1)Spell for protection from danger
(2)Spell for magic
(3)Spell for same sex love
(4)Spell for healing
(5)Spell for invisibility
(6)Spell for riches and fame
(7)Spell to get a good job
(8)Spell for strong love and relationship
(9)Spell to bring your ex back
(10)speII for Lottery
This man has great powers and is incredibly generous.You can contact him on
(wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com)

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...