Sunday 1 March 2015

Ditsy Floral Mimi Blouse


True to my word in my mini-review of Love at First Stitch, I made a Mimi blouse before the end of 2015! Pretty near the beginning of 2015 in fact. The Mimi blouse is my favourite pattern from the book, and I loves me a vintage-y style little blouse (as proven by my collection of patterns you can see here). Also, sometimes when I'm teaching workshops at Tilly's HQ, I think it's nice to represent 'Team Tilly' by wearing a creation from one of her patterns. Just as soon as it gets warmer...


Pattern:

So the first thing to mention about the pattern is that is needs tracing. The patterns in the book are helpfully ordered so all the bits you'll need for one of the styles are all grouped together on one large page per pattern, so no magic-eye skillz required like with the Burda or Ottobre magazines. PLUS, unlike those 'zines, seam and hem allowances are already included. Want to see a video of Dolores 'helping' me trace out the Mimi pattern pieces? Of course you do...
If I'm looking slightly less than a picture of patience in the video, despite the evident cuteness of her assistance, it is because it was taken at the end of a long day full of 'helping'! 


So back to the pattern. I decided to monkey around with the sizing a bit. Generally I like my blouses to be quite fitted, and the style ease in the Mimi seemed quite a lot more than I'd usually go for. So to this end, even though my measurements corresponded closely to the Size 3 of the pattern, I actually traced the Size 2, and used the Size 3 for the sleeve. Generally I think this was a good tactic, however it did come out a tiny bit tighter than I expected in a couple of places, so maybe I'd make the Size 3 after all if I make this again. Oh, and I'd probably go up another size to the Size 4 for the sleeves next time as they are a wee bit tight, although that could be the crappy interfacing I used for the stiffening the facings which always seems to shrink whatever I'm fusing a little. 


There are some really lovely elements to this pattern and it was a really enjoyable make. I think the proportions of the gathered yoke and collar are really lovely. The only thing I felt I could add to the pattern was to make a different configuration of the buttons, which I placed in pairs for a little extra interest. 

Fabric:

Hmm, so I'm not really sure this fabric is 'me', and my personal jury is still out on this subject. It's an undeniable pretty ditsy floral Liberty or faux-Liberty (I'm not sure, I didn't buy it) print cotton lawn that has been lurking in my stash for an age. Just as Karen wrote in the awesome Liberty Tana Lawn edition of her fabric Focus series, it feels wonderful to both work with AND wear. I cannot wait for warmer months to wear this regularly and enjoy that experience! 


Thoughts:

I'm actually surprised by how much I like this blouse despite the 'un-me' fabric. I think the fabric a good pairing with this sewing pattern, and that is what is winning me over. As Tilly writes in the book, the Mimi blouse looks great with skinny jeans, which is pretty much my uniform at the moment. 


19 comments:

Marie said...

Really like this blouse, I think it's the shape of the neckline and collar. The fabric might not be 'you' (I get that all the time) but it definitely looks lovely so persevere with it! :) x

Knitwitsowls said...

I think the fabric really suits you x

Dora said...

Aw, the video won't play! We demand Dolores!

Mother of Reinvention said...

Your blouse is beautiful. I love the fabric and it looks like it will be fab for the Spring weather, if we ever get any. Dolores is so sweet. They are fab at that age. xx

Sewing by Shirley said...

This top is so pretty! Gorgeous fabric print too!

Anonymous said...

Love this very 'pretty' print. Looks great on you, and ditto the above, the shape of the collar is a lovely feature of this :-)

Janine said...

I think it's pretty too but hope you can feel comfy wearing it .It feels weird wearing something that is not you.

Dr Susan said...

I think it looks great! Perfect for spring!

tialys said...

I like it and I like the mustard cardi over the top. I think Dolores makes an excellent assistant - it's obviously all in the genes - and I'm hoping you will be as patient with me when I come to your class in April!!

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Lovely! I really like the detail on the sleeves. :) Lisa

Hanna said...

Looks lovely! Re fabric: it looks very like, but I think in fact is not, Liberty's Tatum print in colourway D.

Tilly said...

This looks so cute on you, Zoe! Dolores is so helpful - maybe she could be your workshop assistant ;) x

Summer said...

Cute top!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute and helpful assistant!!! :) I really like this style on you- the collar is so fun!

Christals Creations said...

It's so nice to see things made. I have the book, I may now venture one of the patterns. :)

Caroline said...

I agree with you Zoe that the cute floral print works so well with the Mimi blouse. Love the double button detailing!

Anonymous said...

Ooh such a pretty mini blouse. I like fit and the fabric is a dead ringer for liberty tana lawn. This blouse is on my sew list.

JustSewJenna said...

I think the blouse is very you, so even if the fabric doesn't feel like you, you've made it into something that is - if that makes sense!! I love it, so springlike especially with the cardi!

Unknown said...

That's is really great post its all information is really helpful.

wholesale Childrens Clothing
wholesale Baby Items

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...