Hmm, I must admit I'm not in love with this project. It was very much an experiment I did last year when I had some spare time. I'd had some ideas floating round my head and I wanted to try and make them a reality, and while I don't think all the elements I've ploughed into this garment work in unison, I do think there are some good ideas in here that might inspire some more successful refashions in the future.
So what IS going on here? Well, it's basically a bodice with a gathered strip of fabric to form a frill at the bottom that kind of brings a peplum effect. I wanted to try remaking a shirt with a princess seam bodice pattern rather than the usual bust dart shirt remakes I've made in the past. To be honest I can't remember which pattern I used, but any princess seam bodice pattern like the By Hand London's Elisalex dress would be a good basis. I really like how the recutting of the shirt front slices up the original pocket detail (pictured below).
The frill was made from fabric harvested from the removed sleeves and seamed together to form a simple long rectangular strip. Plus, as you may have gathered, the cap sleeves are made from the original cuffs. I've seen this done better on other peoples' refashions! I think mine would have been better if the proportions were a bit more subtle, perhaps if I removed the buttons and brought the cuffs/caps in a bit so they don't protrude out as much.
But anyways. My intention was not to present you with a garment and then to list its flaws, I just wanted to show you the results of an experiment I had in the hope that an element or two from it might trigger some ideas for your own refashionings. Have a fabulous weekend.