Oops, I forgot to share with a sewing project that I'll think you'll agree is something of a deviation from my normal stitchery pokery. This is a quilty thing I completed a few weeks ago for my mate's gorgeous new little daughter, Surayya Rana.
The little lady in question is also the intended wearer of the baby dress I made a while back for the baby shower, way back before everyone was even positive she was going to be a she! You can see some scraps from that dress fabric as my contribution to the fabric medley. At that baby shower, I asked all the ladies in attendance to bring a piece of fabric with them. Those pieces of fabric were the material used to create this quilt (along with the solid teal colour I introduced in an attempt to prevent Surayya getting a headache when she spends under or on it!).
Not having ever made a quilt before, I wasn't massively sure how to approach it. The patchwork part was time consuming but easy enough. I decided not to attempt to properly quilt it because if I did so, I'm pretty sure she would be school-age before I got it finished! So I bought some brushed cotton for the backing and some wadding and made some self-bias from the remains of the teal sateen. Stitching the layers together without missing and bits or getting and pleats or tucks was a bit of a nightmare, but the whole thing was sooooo worth it. I really hope it's something she'll use and love, and I know it's been apprciated by her parents, so I'm one happy Auntie Zo!