Thursday 2 December 2010

Sad Times....

..are upon us. Two of the most significant and inspirational players in the creative sustainability world are coming to an end. I've already announced that awesome Mixtape zine will no longer be producing issues. And now the almightly Wardrobe Refashion blog/community is also shutting up shop. It must be noted that both these entities are ending for very understandable reasons, the amount of time and effort such things take to create and maintain for a period of years has proved Justine and Nikki are nothing short of superwomen!

But that does not detract from what a void they will leave. I want to massively thank both these women for the contribution they have made in creating and sustaining the DIY/creative community, and wish them all the happiness and best wishes in their new projects, crafty adventures and lives.

It is no exaggeration when I say it that discovering Wardrobe Refashion back in 2007 changed my life. Maybe I would have got to the point I am at today anyhow via a slower route, but Nikki certainly put a voice to undercurrents that were bubbling away and speeded up the process for many eco-minded creative people out there I'm sure. Personally, it had such an impact on me, even contributing in a round about way to me ending up living in Barcelona! Anyways... It will be interesting to see what venture comes along to fill the gap WR leaves behind. I've already heard of one exciting project so far (more details as and when the creators deem it ready) that should see that online refashioning peops have somewhere to call 'home' to share ideas, tips and inspiration. However, the pledge part of WR is where much of it's real genius lay: the mental kick in the butt that 'signing up' to something gives. The ending of that will be the biggest loss as far as I'm concerned.

And as for Mixtape. There were plans for another PDF only issue to be released, but recent word has come that the current and final printed issue will now be the very last Mixtape zine. What can I say other maybe, I don't know, perhaps you could BUY IT!!!!!! It's your last chance to get hold of a lovely, thoughtful and inspirational publication made with love and talent about craft, pop culture, DIY and sustainability.

9 comments:

62cherry said...

awwwww!!! xxxx

Tilly said...

WR will be sadly missed but fondly remembered. Taking the 6 month pledge completely changed my relationship to clothes shopping - that may sound like a tiny thing, but it was a huge part of my life before I took the pledge and realised I didn't actually need shopping in my life! Looking forward to seeing the new project you mentioned...

Anonymous said...

Wardrobe refashion was a huge inspiration to me! I was never much of one for shopping, but it helped me see what I could do with all those clothes I was thrifting. I'm very sad that it's gone, and I do hope that the refashioners find a new home!

jessica said...

WR was also hugely life changing for me, as well. I wonder if Nikki realizes how many lives she's changed. I really think she had a huge [though subtle] role in bringing thrifting and refashioning more mainstream.

bagqueen said...

I so agree about WR I started with short pledges and took a life pledge a year or so ago and it has completely changed the way I look at clothes and how I value them. Nikki has been a star not only in motivating people but in keeping the massive machine running for as long as she has.

nikkishell said...

Oh thank you Zoe! It's so nice to hear how WR has changed peoples lives. I feel very honoured to have had such an impact.
xxx

Rachel said...

So sad! I only did the three month pledge, WR completely ruined me for clothes shopping forever. I wish Nikki and everyone else the best.

Richard Majece said...

I can advise you to read these important tips if you are going to write a report. Here you can find some tips to use

Gamesbx2.info said...

Thanks for sharing the great things that really helped me
shellshock 2020
gamesbx
yorg3 online

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...