Wednesday 9 April 2014

Big Spring Contest: Vote for Miriam!!!


So you remember the Big Spring Contest that I was a judge for? And you remember how Miriam was chosen to make her 'Everyday Awesome' entry using some gorgeous organic hand-block printed cotton? AND you remember how lovely and thought-provoking her thoughts on what 'Everyday Awesome' means to her were? Well, it's time to get voting people....


What you are seeing here is the result of Miriam's mad sewing skills, how she turned the delightful fabric into a stunningly cute dress to help make her day and everyone else's who sees her in it that bit more awesome. But aside from creating a beautiful, wearable garment (Check out the fit! Check out the pattern panel matching!), I feel that Miriam deserves to win the heap of prizes that are up for grabs because she has put real heart and spirit in to her entry (check out the blog post here for her full write up plus construction details):

"When I read Zoe’s theme – everyday awesome – I loved it. What better thought to carry around in your heart than: there are ways as creative people to make everyday awesome. We are given this day, others were not. Some people’s days are taken from them by death, by force, by poverty, by slavery, by chance. We are given this day. This is a day to celebrate. As a mama I have well known the pyjama filled days, those days of distaste at the stretch marks that have turned my tummy into something that resembles a deflating balloon. But I also know that getting up and dressing up for the day, choosing that favourite dress, those shoes that make you feel indestructible, those earrings given to you by someone who thinks you are wonderful – those days are better days. Sometimes by being everyday awesome and wearing something special instead of saving it for a ‘proper’ occasion, we make someone smile. 

And so I was so thrilled to be chosen to make a dress from Offset Warehouse’s collection. Because I believe creativity is important and I am excited to see people helping us to do that in better ways – ethically, sustainably, leaving a gentle footprint. I am trying to make choices that reflect my respect for this great human family and for this wonderful earth we are charged to steward. 

For the last 3 years I have journeyed through 10,000s of earthquakes in Christchurch, as the earth has destroyed grandma’s china, houses, sewer lines and lives it has also built communities that are knit together, it has made empty spaces that creative people have filled and it has taught us that what matters and what remains unshakeable are relationships. It has taught me that joy and love and shared laughter are my gifts to the world and I will give them with all the generosity and in every creative way I can think of. It has taught me that I can, and should, use and enjoy my special things everyday or I can save them, only to find they are destroyed anyway. The value is not in the things themselves, it is in the use and pleasure we derive from them. It has taught me to use, wear, enjoy, and share today. I’m not waiting for a special occasion. Today is awesome. Every day is awesome. I am not the youngest, oldest, wisest, strongest, prettiest, cleverest, slimmest woman in the world and so I owe it to myself, to other women, to my children and to others to declare (often with how I dress,) to say I’m not waiting for a special occasion, a better body, a better day. I am taking hold of today and I am declaring it to be awesome."

Amen to that! So PLEASE go to the Offset Warehouse's Facebook page and vote for Miriam (D) so she can win the lovely prizes I feel she so deserves. You know that she will treasure and use the prizes, and anything she doesn't I have no doubt she will not allow to sit around her home gathering dust, she'll pass them on so others can derive pleasure from them. Go on, please vote for Miriam!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a moving post. I don't even need to see the other contestants, Miriam has my vote!

Miriam said...

thanks Zoe - your encouragement and talent is a total inspiration to me xxxx

Scruffybadger said...

It's a gorgeous awesome dress, well done!
But I'm pushing for Marilla's 50 s striped wonder dress....of course!

Rachelle said...

Voted for Miriam, as always she has sewn a stunning dress!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...