Sunday 20 February 2011

Corazones Rockabilly Blouse

What am I looking all chuffed about in the picture about? Well, I've finally finished sewing myself a new super-cute blouse! I've been pretty busy recently, what with co-organising Brighton Craftaganza, thinking about and planning MMMar '11, worrying about ecological damage and social injustice, trying to make the best out of my unstable work position, plotting and scheming towards new creative ventures, making new connections and friends with local creative peops AND hunting for a new flat, but it'll be a cold day in hell when I'm not in the process of expanding my wardrobe by having a sewing project on the go!

Maybees you remember this awesome blouse pattern from my Recent Acquisitions post a while back? Well, despite having bought a frigthening number of patterns since writing that post, I am ever-committed to using all the patterns I have at least once, otherwise they get passed on, and I've been particularly excited about trying this blouse pattern. It was tricky to decide which of the variations to try first, but I think the Corazones fabric leant itself best to view C.

This fabric was actually a gift from my mates, along with some other amazing super-special fabric, for my 30th, which was a year and a half ago now. I'd been hanging onto it, waiting for the right project to come along.

I took my time with this project. I often find it's the garments that look the simplest that you have to take care to get a good fit. I traced off the original pattern, as I always so with my vintage babies, and added some extra width at the waist and hips. I cut out the blouse and stitched the shoulder and side seams, THEN pinned the darts, so I could get a decent fit for my shape. I probably should have got my boss to help fit the back, but it's so cold in our workroom that I could onlt bring myself to fit a blouse after the heating in my flat had been cranked for an hour before I could peal off my layers of clothing!

Here's the blouse in a (far less curvy) mannequin, so you can get a clearer look of the shape and neckline:

I massively LOVE the standup collar. So simple but such a nice feature. However, it does put one fly in the ointment: it makes it tricky to wear a cardigan over the top without squashing down the collar, which kind of spoils the how effect of the blouse. I'm either going to have to seak out a secondhand cardi that doesn't have the round 50's cardi neckline I tend to do for, OR I could fashion a cardigan with a wider neckline than my current selection of cardis provide, OR I'm going to have to wait til it's warm enough to wear without a cardi at all (that could be a LONG wait!).

I did actually make the bow section as per view C, but it looked wierd with the all over print so I took it off. That meant I had to re-jig the fastenings. I only had four of these sweet vintage buttons, which worked out ok when the bow was present because the top had a popper. But when the top bit was exposed, I had to make another button hole and move the bottom button to the top and sew closed the bottom button hole and stitch popper there instead.

So, if I figure out the cardi sitch, expect to see this cutey pop up during MMMar '11! How are you preparations going for MMMar '11, if you have chosen to take part? Have you got any any bits completed since signing up?

29 comments:

christina said...

Such a cute blouse! I still have to sign up for Me Made March, so I'd better be heading to that post again. ;O)

Catherine said...

Absolutely gorgeous blouse! I would look pretty pleased with myself wearing it too!! Love the collar. I've got a couple of similar blouse patterns recently - thank you for the tip of tracing the pattern. I have been refashioning for a little while, but have only recently completed my first 2 garments and am in the middle of a 3rd (from 2ndhand/vintage fabrics). Just A-line skirts to get me used to sewing from patterns. Looking forward to letting myself loose on the blouse patterns though! Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I love the blouse! You have inspired me to start thinking about such garments. As I had hoped, MMar'11 has spurred me on to great things at the sewing machine, both for myself and my unsuspecting toddler, whom I have signed up as company (pity she can't take a photo of anything other than her lap just yet).

Jessness said...

That blouse is adorable, I'd love to see that pattern in a plain fabric with the bow as per the packet though. Soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

That is some awesome fabric and I live the collar, too.

I finally tore myself away from frivolous skirts long enough to make another pair of me-made trousers, and repair a previous one, so I've made some progress but stil should add a couple more shirts and maybe another sweater...

Anonymous said...

I pink puffy HEART that blouse!!! So pretty! I say wear a long sleeve shrug with it - wider neckline won't squash your pretty collar.

Job well done!

I am prepping madly for MMMarch11 - eep! Excited, though!

Unknown said...

That's a great job! How would it work with the bow section in a plain black?? Too "bow tie" ish? (not actually a bad thing in itself!)
Px

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful blouse. I love the fabric, the collar and the sleeves. Rock on!

Cecili said...

I love your blouse, it's so cool :) And the fit seems great, even at the back!

Unknown said...

It's a gorgeous blouse. I love the fabric!

Tilly said...

Awesome blouse! I love the collar. The fabric really suits you. Sounds like you have been a busy bee of late, but very inspiring that you can fit sewing in too. I should really stop reading blogs and start cutting out my next project...

Isis said...

very nice indeedy :D

jessica said...

HEART!!! [Sorry, I couldn't resist]

Seriously though! You are totally inspiring a renewed desire to make my own blouses! Lovely.

If you refashioned a deep v-neck into a sweater I'll bet the two different necklines would look pretty sweet together =).

Carolyn said...

That is beautiful fabric! I love the blouse!

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

wow its lovely!

Fourth Daughter said...

hi, just wondering if anyone else had problems with the MMM widget thing, I've posted it but I get the spanner symbol coming up after it. Can you check the code please? I'm soooo bad with technology!
.. and also.. http://peppermintmag.com/make-it-yourself-in-march/
yay!

Irene Bullock said...

Great blouse! I think I'm not there yet (buttonholes, my archenemy!) but I should get some tops for MMM11. I've just finished 2 skirts, they're even wearable, so I'm on the right track.

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Love the new blouse! I agree with comments above - would love to see the same view in a plain colour (maybe blue with a red/white striped bow could be cute).

Re: cardigan, how about a red or yellow version of your fav Saint Cardigan with a tweaked neckline to suit the Corazones Blouse? :)

Bernice said...

Great top. I always struggle wearing prints on a black background. You've pulled this off fantastically.

Stevie said...

That is totally fab I love the pattern. I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on fabric shopping in Barcelona, I'm off there in March and would love to do some sneaky fabric hunting. Thanks! xx

Anonymous said...

What a unique pattern and fabric.

Zoe said...

Thanks y'all! Glad you like it, you may get sick of seeing it in future self-stitched challenges!

Thanks also those who suggested ideas for knitwear I could make/refashion which might work with this collar. I've taken them firmly on board and am mulling it over!

@sundaycrafternoon, your comment about your daughter's current photography skills made me LOL!

@Fourth Daughter, umm, curious. To be honest, no-one else has mentioned any problem with the widget and I've seen it function without probs on lots of blogs now. All I can do, which you probably already know, is list the steps for Wordpress:
1# Copy the HTML code

2# Click on ‘Appearance’ on your the dashboard of your own blog

3# Find ‘Widget’ and drag it into yout sidebar

6# paste the code in (leave the title field blank)

@Stevie, have a great trip to bcn, say hi to it for me! As for fabric shopping, there are two shops both called Ribes i Casals. They are very close to each other and have basically the same stock just laid out differently, but one has slightly more friendly opening hours. Both are near Urquinaona metro station, or a short walk from Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas. There are a few more in that hood but the are definately the best. The selection probably won't blow you away in terms of having anything radical, but the variety of types and colours is pretty impressive. Enjoy!

xxxx

Jen said...

Oh wow! This is such a cute blouse!! I've been on the hunt for vintage blouse patterns lately, I've decided I don't have enough, and you have spurred me on :)

frk.bustad said...

What a cute blouse! The pattern is really great for the fabric, and the choice of collar was wise. I will watch your MMM'11 with awe - I'm still in the sewing hibernation mode...

Chase Clark said...

Awesome top! I love option A on the pattern, this makes me want to finish the plaid blouse I started forever ago!

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

Ooh that blouse is very cheeky. Nice work honey you look like a real rock-a-hula baby :)

Ali said...

I absolutely love this! This pattern and this fabric :)

Anonymous said...

hey, I gave you an award! head to my page to check it out.

Stacy said...

This is so cute! I almost bought that fabric once, but got something else instead. Work-related stress has prevented me from having any sewing time since December, boo! Today is the first day I've even looked at any sewing blogs in a long time. I miss seeing everyone's outfits and being in touch with all the people I "met" during Me-Made-May last year. Must make time, somehow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...