Friday 9 August 2019

Tricolour Yari Playsuit


I've still got a sizeable list of warm-weather garments that I hope to make before the summer is out. I decided to prioritise this playsuit because I really wanted to be able to wear it on the trip to France that we went on last week. In my attempt to save time, I decided to forgo making a toile/muslin (doh! How many times must I relearn this lesson?!), my thinking being that, with all those seams, any alterations would be a case of a simple pinching-out here or a small letting-out there. WRONG....


Pattern:

I snapped up the True Bias Yari Jumpsuit pattern using the discount code during the last week of Me-Made-May 2019. I've wanted a playsuit for years, so it was time that I FINALLY make myself one. I planned to make View B: the shorts-length with extended sleeves (although I didn't have enough fabric for the sleeve bands) with the waist ties (but no D-rings) to create some shape at the middle. The size chart put me at a size 8 for the top half, blending out to a size 10 at the hips, so that's initially what I did. Having looked at at the hashtag on IG, I saw that a lot of people's versions came up a bit long in the body, with the crotch a bit too low. However, when making trousers, I usually have to 'scoop out' the crotch, so I decided to proceed with the pattern as-is. 

(image source: True Bias)

I tacked/basted it all together and tried in on. Oh. Not good. I wish I'd taken a picture at that point for you to see, but basically the whole thing was too big, and the crotch was wayyyy too low. I went back to the pattern and graded between the size 6 and 8 (rather than the size 8 and 10), and pinched out 2cm from the length at the waist to bring the crotch curve up to nearer where it belonged. I unpicked the whole thing and recut each piece, and removed the 2cm excess length by folding it out and stitching at the waistline so, when all the panels were joined back together, it would just look like a waist seam. After making all those tweaks, the 'proper' construction was a breeze, and it all came together easily. 


At the tacked-together fitting stage, I decided the waist ties weren't going to be for me. I wasn't convinced that they would bring the waist in without creating some odd folds or tucks at the sides, so I decided to stitch some elastic in at the sides of the waist to bring in that fullness more evenly. 

Because I didn't have enough fabric for the sleeve bands, I finished the armholes with bias tape as per the instructions for the sleeveless version. 


Fabric:

As you can see in the photo above, this fabric has an awesome chevron-y print in red, white and blue. The base is a medium-weight woven fabric that I suspect to be a poly/cotton blend, and I it has lived in my stash for a million years. I have had so many plans for this fabric over the years, but I'm pleased to have finally turned it into a useful item, even if this project really made me work for that outcome! It's likely that this fabric is actually vintage, from the 1970's perhaps, as it was really narrow. The limited amount meant that, not only did I have to omit the sleeve bands, but I also had to use something else for the for the neck line facing. I used a scrap of 4oz washed denim instead, I really like contrasting facings though, so it's possible I would have used a different fabric for the facing anyhow. 

The gold-coloured metal buttons also came from my stash, having previously been used on this cardigan. I harvested the buttons from that Jenna cardigan before it was sent it to the textile-recycling bin due to pilling fabric and not having worn it in years. 


Thoughts:

Why oh why do I not ALWAYS make toiles when attempting new sewing patterns?! In the end, this garment has turned out pretty well and is definitely wearable. But it would have been so much better to have ironed out all the fit issues on a separate toile before snipping into my precious final fabric, rather than stressing myself out by trying hard to salvage my final fabric/only version.  

So, after all the faff, have I nailed the fit? I'm not sure. The Yari jumpsuit is a lovely design, and it I think it successfully walks a difficult line between loose and fitted. I do find though, when I wear it, that I have what feels like excess fabric around the front crotch/hip area. I think that could be reduced by making an adjustment to shorten the front rise, however I'd be fearful to over-fit this and make it too restrictive and therefore uncomfortable to wear. Although it doesn't look like it in these photos because my photographer is taller than me, this playsuit is really short! Wearing it whilst sitting down, I was repeated alarmed to be presented with so much of my own thighs! It kind of felt (and I fear, looked) like I was just wearing my pants!

All that said, it is a successful garment and I'm happy to have it in my wardrobe. I'm tempted to try the pattern again, probably the longer version in a solid black or navy linen. But I'm on a fabric buying ban until my stash has been substantially whittled down, so future Yaris are likely to occur next Spring at the earliest. 

7 comments:

Charmaine said...

Well, I think it looks more than successful. Well done.

Clipping Path said...

Great post.thank you so much.Love this blog.

Janice Aliena said...

I read a comment online of a Los Angeles based Journalist Reveals How She find a boyfriend, 2 months after Her ex boyfriend broke up.
I send a email message to contact same Dr.Amiso because i have this Powerful Intentions that things will work for me, i believed in testimonies are real life proves. I realized this would be good to share here as I know it will inspire others too.
fortunate enough for me i came across Dr. Amiso email contact on a blog post. Today i'm testifying with joy and happiness to the world ... this is one of the most joyful moment of my life. Dr.Amiso the Great-Love-Spell, Lunched a spell on my behalf to recover my ex-husband with his spell of magic and love-enchantment spell.
I'm married for over 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was looking for a divorce, we broke-up before 3 months ago and we came back again after so much begging with nice gifts of love.
I love my husband so much. I couldn't have done anything to hurt him or make him feel bad anymore..i just wanted him back to loving me forever. today we are both living happily together.i love him so much. My point is, he was my first love (at least that’s what it feels like).
i'm grateful and thankful to this great man. I was at first having fear of doubt, but i give it a try and it work for my good. I'm certain this will work for you as well, 100% sure.
contact him through his personal email via (herbalisthome01@gmail.com)
he has the Powers to resolve the following relationship issues; -
* Love Spells Win-Back Ex lover, Get Wealthy & Stay Forever With You.
* Success & promotion magic spell, No One Else Except You Alone.
* Traditional herbs and roots to cure Breast Cancer, Body, Mouth & Virginal Odor / Discharge.
* Magic spell for Breast & Penis Enlargement / Reduction.
* Magic enchantment to cure Stop Nightmare, & Bad Dreams.
* spiritual cleansing, Free from Assassinating & Kidnapping.
* fertility magic - FRUITS OF WOMEN, & Carry Your Own Child.
* Burning of Fat & Regulating Sugar Content in the Body.
* decreeing magic, SPELL LOTTERY & WIN-GAMES SPELL
The internet really helps a lot in providing quick and urgent solution to life problems.
here is Dr. Amiso personal email address; herbalisthome01@gmail.com

Taylor Bara said...

You look pretty cool! Have a look at this too https://essaybakery.co.uk/blog/essays-about-family

Anonymous said...

I was so delighted to meet PRIEST AZIBA after a long time looking for help in order to fix the ups and downs with my boyfriend. We lived together for two years without any problems until this year when he started seeing another girl, When I tried talking to him, he decided to leave me for her which made me so heart broken after all we have been through together, he even stopped picking up my calls and also blocked me from calling him. I love him dearly and couldn't accept losing him that's why I decided to seek help from PRIEST AZIBA through his WhatsApp number +2348100368288, he helped me quickly in one day and as I speak my boyfriend is back to me with lots of love and respect like never before. Am expecting more good things to happen in our relationship.
Get in contact with PRIEST AZIBA and He's also specialize in giving lottery winning numbers spells, Herbal Medicines E.T.C. Get connected Email: priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp : +2348100368288


Jason Bennett said...

I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/) Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542 

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...