Friday 6 October 2017

Free Pattern Friday: Kid's Retro Sweatpants


This is my new monthly feature where I road test a free sewing pattern or tutorial: sometimes a children's one, sometimes a women's one. I publish these posts every first Friday of the month, timed to provide inspiration for those of you who plan to get your sew-on over the weekend. I firmly believe that, if you pick your projects carefully, sewing doesn't have to be a crazy-expensive pass time. 


(image source: Elegance & Elephants)

Pattern type:

It's properly Autumn now here in UK, so it's cosy clothes a-go-go. This is Elegance & Elephants's free Retro Sweatpants pattern for making unisex, old-school style joggers (thanks so much E&E!). They include in-seam pockets, an elasticated waist and optional drawstring. This garment can be made with or without using an overlocker/serger.

Sizing info:

This is a multi-sized pattern from 12 months to 9 years. I made the smallest size (12-18 months). Frankie has just turned 1 and is fairly average sized, they came out quite big and I'm guessing these will probably fit him when he's about 18 months.


Fabric info:

The suggested fabrics include cotton ribbing (although it's not clear if that's just for the cuffs and waistband, or the whole garment), interlock, sweatshirt fabric and jersey. For my version, I've used some ponte de roma that was leftover from my recent cardigan project, and soft, solid ponte for the cuffs and waistband. French terry would also work well.

Findings:

The pattern itself is a well-produced, digitised PDF. The instructions, although not the most detailed or 'hand-holdy' I've come across, feature clear, colour photographs to illustrate the construction steps so you can work out what's required easily enough. Because Frankie is still a baby, I decided to omit the in-seam pockets and the waist drawstring, which sped up this already quick project even more. I'm not super happy with how the waistband has turned out, but I'm currently too tired to figure out how I'd rather it'd be. That said, it's a great basic garment. If you have some crazy energy-filled scamps that like comfy clothes, you could batch-sew a bunch of these and they'd be sorted for a whole season.


Customisation ideas:

Ways you might customise this pattern to get different looks might include:

  • knee patches 
  • contrast waistband and/or cuffs
  • applique or sewn-on patches
  • colour blocked panels
  • front or back patch pockets
  • piping or ribbon (or dinosaur-esque triangles!) along the side-seams
  • shortened/cut-off to make sporty, basket-ball style shorts

(image sources: Sloppop, Mothercare, Paul and PaulaBoden, Tug Tug (couldn't find link))

Would I make them again?

Overall, I'm pleased with how these turned out. I'm looking forward to seeing Frankie wearing them for real when he grows into them, but I'm not sure how much of that is about my deep love for this anchor fabric! I probably wouldn't make them again in this size, but I might return to this pattern for the larger sizes in the future.

7 comments:

Kristina said...

What a find! I currently have a 4 year old boy with no hips to speak of that is constantly losing his trousers! So an elasticated waist band with a drawstring is looking really good right now! Great idea for a series, I look forward to your posts.

Kathi said...

Dear Zoe,
I just wanted to say I´ve been reading your blog for ages now, before we both had two kids. I never ever comment but I love to read your blog and to me, you´re the best, most relatable, funniest sewing blogger out there. So, thanks for taking the time to write and takr pictures and post.
All the best from Germany,
Kathi

katherine h said...

I don't think it is just the anchor fabric...the model is pretty cute too!

Kathryn said...

Aww he looks very cute! I may need to try this pattern as I have the mini Hudson pants but find the number of pattern pieces too much for my brain right now even though I’m sure they’d be a relatively straightforward Sew once I started. This fabric is pretty amazing too!!

Zoë said...

Love these Zoe, and thank you----you're inspiring me to get back on that machine and make some little clothes! :)

sanchesginger@gmail.com said...

Really, it is very for babies. Follow the professionals writing assistant to know further steps. Thanks for the inspiration.

Rachael said...

The link doesn't work anymore :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...