Friday 16 November 2012

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Bow Detail Sweatshirt Dress


Happy Friday everyone! Today's inspiration point is undeniably similar to last week's lace yoke detail sweatshirt dress! That lace yoke dress was well received so I thought I'd offer a variation so people can see how else to interpret the basic idea. 


As you may well have figured out, the basic dress has been made in exactly the same way as last week's, using two unwanted men's sweatshirts that are the same colour. As you can see if the image above, one of the sweatshirts was a raglan style so the final dress has ended up with this cool shoulder seam effect (if you are wondering why the image below doesn't have those seams, it is because I made a few of these dresses and ended up photographing a couple). 


I wanted to keep the red dress really fun and youthful, so I used some candy-striped cotton to make simple bows and applied them to the shoulders. Winter and cold-weather dressing can so often be drab and dull, so I wanted to make something bright yet still snug and warm. You could really amp up the effect by combining this dress with equally bright and vivid coloured tights!

How about you? Do you have any strategies for avoiding drabness when dressing for Winter weather? 

9 comments:

Meg the Grand said...

These sweatshirt dresses are haunting my dreams - I must make one for my wardrobe before the weather gets too crazy! I love the added bow details - it's a fabulous touch on that divine red color. Well done!

Miriam said...

I love these re-fashions. There is probably an tutorial somewhere on your blog already but I am interested in lowering the neckline for these kind of refashions - being full of bust! - and wonder how to do this without ending up with an enormous gapey neckline?

AVY said...

Oh, very cute, I love bows.

/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like the bows - I loved the lace version too.
I am brightening up a winter coat refashion with lots of different buttons and a teal wool trim - not finished yet but getting there.

Anonymous said...

Adorable!! This looks so comfy and I love the bows.

Jen said...

I LOVE the bow shoulders, it's such a sweet yet simple detail that really makes the dress.

Zoe said...

@Miriam, thanks a lot for your question. You can lower the neckline as much as you like without it being gapey as long as you finish the neckline properly.

I'd advise using a strip of the waist ribbing and making sure it is about 4cms shorter than the measurement of the neck hole you are binding. That way the neck hole will keep tight.

Let me know if I can help further.

All the best
Zoe xx

Unknown said...

Nice style! All fashion lovers rock this winter with best quality sweatshirts and with stylish winter accessories!

Men dress style sweatshirts said...

Nice and stylish.Wear men dress style sweatshirts in this winter and stay warm.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...