Friday 28 September 2012

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Leather Applique Sweat Skirt


This refashion is certainly an acquired taste! I'm not sure even I would wear an anchor this huge. Oh wait, yeah I probably would. Anyways, what I really want to get across with this refashion/remake/upcycle is that old unwanted mens sweatshirts don't have to be remade into sweatshirt tops, they can also be sweat skirts! It's such a quick project that you could whip one up in a very limited window of sewing opportunity, all you need is a sweatshirt, thread and wide elastic. 


Cut the arms off the unwanted sweatshirt and then cut along the shoulders so you can pull the remaining tube on. You can then get an idea for how long you want to make the final skirt. You will also see how much you'll need to take in from the side seams and with what kind of shaping to get a nice fit. I used an overlocker/serger to restitch the sides and to neaten the top raw edge, but sweatshirting doesn't really fray so you can use a normal sewing machine, no bother. 


Although you'd probably want to taper the top of the skirt in slightly at the side seams, most of the waist fitting comes from the gathered, elasticated waist. I used some nice and chunky elastic for the waistband, which I feel is more appropriate for this sporty style garment. I made a very simple casing by turning over the top edge to the depth of the elastic and stitching it down with a normal straight stitch. As you can see, I can never leave well alone so added a leather anchor appliqué. But if you left it as a plain garment it would be a very versatile skirt. This type of refashion also works fabulously with plain or patterned knitted jumpers. Cosy skirts ahoy!



7 comments:

Trees said...

This is a brilliant idea, I love it, giant anchor & all!

Elisalex said...

Hooray for cosy skirts! This I have to try. I'm also a big fan of turning tops into bottoms and recently made a man's flannel skirt into a cute, slouchy miniskirt which came out really well - http://byhandlondon.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/diy-flannel-skirt/

So well I've hardly taken it off! Now to hack up some sweatshirts...

HoffiCoffi said...

This takes me back. I'm sure my sister made me one of these when I was about thirteen. I wore it with bright yellow leggings and black converse boots... still would actually!

Merche Martinez said...

You always come up with the most fantastic ideas. I´m off to my husband´s cupboard! ;)

EmSewCrazy said...

Um, I LOVE this! I was just thinking trying to think of ways to add more skirts to my winter wardrobe but it gets so cold and windy here. This is a perfect option! It looks super comfy too! Definitely adding this to my list!

French Toast Tasha said...

Whoa - super cute! I've seen some knit on knit appliques lately with vaguely floral designs, which also could look awesome on something like this.

Unknown said...

I bet you're wearing this before the year is out! Love it!
Px

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...