Wednesday 21 July 2010

Excuses....

I haven't shared many finished garments with y'all recently, and I feel the need to explain myself. Firstly, there simply hasn't been much sewing output here of late due to the (quite frankly excessive) heat and humidity. We don't have any air-conditioning in our little flat sub-section, and the direction our two rooms face means by the afternoon (i.e. after work when sewing could potentially commence) it's a bit of a sweat box. The times when I have switched on the sewing machine and iron and got down to business, it has been whilst wearing nothing but my pants!

Secondly, what I have produced I can't really show you. I did finish another of my Summer Essentials pieces, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to keep it, so whilst its fate remains undecided, I'd rather not present it for some reason that even I can't really understand.

The other thing that I have been working I also cannot show you, but this time for more sound and logical reasoning. Like several of the sewers whose blogs I like to follow, I also was lucky enough to be asked by Burdastyle to contribute a garment to be included in their forthcoming book. The whole thing has been a bit covert in that we weren't allowed to mention it on our blogs until the official announcement was made. After that, I didn't declare my personal involvement straight away, but then I thought that peops might be interested in the process so far.

From what I understand, the book is going to be a bit like the Built By Wendy books, with actual patterns included and step by step guides on how to stitch them together. Some members of the Burdastyle site have been asked to make variations of the patterns to provide inspiration on how these basic patterns might be adapted, giving sewing infinite options. I was sent two line drawings, one a skirt style and the other a blouse, and asked to create two new designs for each using the original styles as a basis. After I sent them back, I was informed that I would be making one of the skirts. Then they contacted me to say that they'd rather use one of the blouse designs instead as they had too many skirts. I was a little disappointed as I was vibed about making the skirt, and the blouse isn't really something I'd wear but, me da igual, it's an awesome opportunity to have something included so whatevs (is 'whatevs' in the dictionary yet?). So with the pattern printed out and the fabric finally appearing from US, I've been cracking on with the project with a keen eye on the deadline. For the record, the fabrics I've been sent (in particular the colour) are not what I would have chosen, but that's largely my fault for not being more specific when submitting my preference.

It's been very interesting getting a glimpse into the inner workings of how something like this comes about. As I assume with the whole of the publishing industry, the deadlines seem pretty intense. The Burdastyle contact I've been corresponding with seems really nice and incredibly well organised. I guess with about 60 or so members submitting creations, you'd have to be pretty on to it. It'll be very exciting seeing the final book when it is realised in Autumn 2011. So, I'm off to strip down to my pants and get this blouse finished to the best of my sewing ability. May I be excused?

19 comments:

AnaJan said...

Hi Zoe,
I can't wait to see your blouse variation! I made the blouse as well, but silly me - I forgot to photograph it before sending it to NY! Well, technically I DID photograph the blouse, but only on a hanger, and I took the pictures with a cell phone camera, so they're not the best quality. I'll just have to wait for the book to be released to see it again :\.

Anonymous said...

Wheeee! Congratulations, Zoe. That's great news about contributing to the book. Yes, publishing is awash with tight deadlines. I know what you mean about sewing in this heat - I've been tempted to strip down myself.

Zara said...

This sounds really cool! Congratulation on getting such a great opportunity, and I can't wait until the book comes out so I can see your blouse!

Tilly said...

Congrats on getting picked! And good luck with getting the thing made. It'll be so nice to see such admirable seamstresses have their work in print!

jen said...

I was wondering if you were in it, I knew you had to be! I'm actually in the middle of making this same post right now, well with different details of course. I can't wait to see your blouse! I had the same problem with my fabric and I'm still not sure what to do about it, they were supposed to go into the same design but they don't even match. Yikes!!!

Julietta said...

Good luck with your blouse! I'm looking forward to see your finished piece as I'm doing the blouse as well. Just sent it off today actually. And it is so funny that the same thing happened to you with the chosen projects. They also picked a skirt pattern first which I really liked just to replace it by a blouse design I was not so fond of. Also not so happy about the fabric I was sent. But I'm sure that they will do an amazing job with the photoshoot and all of our garments will look good:)

Tasia said...

Congrats on being in the Burdastyle book! Good luck getting it all done on deadline :)

Unknown said...

Woohoo - congrats for being part of the Burdastyle book - so excited for you!!!

Ali said...

Totally excused! And whatevs is totally in my personal dictionary. ;)

So excited about your contribution! Now my purchase of the book went from "most likely" to "definitely." And even though I'm scared to death of collars, I'll give it a whirl ;)

Sheryll said...

Good luck with your creation! It will be so exciting to see lots of our fellow bloggers in print!

Alexandra said...

Congratulations and good luck with your blouse! xx

Minnado said...

Congrats on the book news - that is very exciting. I look forward to seeing it. I am thinking of you now in your own little Barcelona sweatshop!

Corinnea said...

Congrats! That is an awesome opportunity!

naughty little pony said...

Fantastic! Congrats lady! I can't wait to see it. SO cool. kisses.

Acha said...

Oh my gosh! Just visited the burda style site after reading this entry. Oh its a nice site! very much excited to see your future creations! glad i stumbled across your blog!

Hayley said...

How exciting! That's awesome, you'll do great.

Deadlines freak me out a bit at the moment, but it sounds like you're on track so good on you for that.

Keep us posted!

::HARUNA:: said...

awesome! look forward to seeing your version of the blouse :)!!
only a weekend left till the shipping deadline! I have a little bit left to do on my coat...

jessica said...

Oh cool! That's super exciting!!! Can't wait to see what variation you contribute. Also, in my book sewing near-naked is totally acceptable [and something I do in the Boston heat too, we have no AC either and I live on the third floor ... of course, if you're like me and doing it late at night with the blinds open and the lights on, maybe less advisable! Luckily I iron on a towel on the ground so that saves me some peeping tom angst. I also try to push the sewing machine as close to the wall as possible, and then hope for the best.]

Jodi Wade said...

I am curious what your blouse looks like. I made a coat and my fabric wasn't exactly what I asked for either but I am glad for that - I wasn't thinking properly and the deadline for the sketches made me kind of crazy and so I asked for grass green wool....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...