Monday 27 October 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel #6: The Bronte Top

Pattern Parcel #6: Choose your own price and support DonorsChoose. Win/win!

Stop me if I've told you this, but I bloody LOVE the Perfect Pattern Parcels! And Parcel #6 is a real beauty! I think it's their best yet in terms of how useful and varied the patterns are. But let's back up a bit and let me explain what the hell I'm talking about if the are new to you...

The organisers of the Perfect Pattern Parcels put together a package of indie designer PDF sewing patterns along a theme. You can then purchase the pattern parcel for a price of your choice for a limited time only, and then ALL the profits go to supporting a charity called Donors Choose which funds and supports educational projects in the US. Parcel #6 is an awesome set of potentially mix-and-matchable womenswear patterns and is on sale here between 17th and 31st October.

Parcel #6 includes the following sewing patterns:

  • Bronte Top by Jennifer Lauren Vintage  - Such a clever pattern, I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to make a version I wouldn't love to wear.
  • Julia Cardigan by Mouse House Creations  - I'm totally making this at some point, it looks like such useful layering garment.
  • Hudson Pant by True Bias  - Although they are way more 'urban' and contemporary in style than I'd usually make, I actually have a pair of these cut out and ready to stitch together. 
  • Zsalya Dress by Kate and Rose - There's a dress and tunic/top version included in this pattern and both look lovely. I would definitely make this for mild-to-mid maternity if I ever found myself preggers again. 
  • Syrah Skirt by Lauren Dahl (exclusive release!) - Not really my style and I doubt I'll ever make this but it could be a total staple garment pattern for many wardrobes. 

If you choose to pay $32 or more for the parcel, you will receive the BONUS PATTERN:

  • Odette Dress by Bluegingerdoll - A really clever take on a standard fit and flare dress, IMHO. 


So if you are still on the fence about whether or not to buy this pattern parcel, here's my version of the Bronte top that may sway you! This isn't the first time I've made this pattern. I was one of the testers for the Bronte top and I made a long sleeved version in navy and cream. Since the weather turned cooler, I've been wearing that top a lot and it never fails to score some compliments for me. 

When I saw the Bronte top on the list of patterns in this parcel I was reminded of how awesome it is. It may seem like cheating to make a parcel pattern that I already own, but I'd thought about making a 3/4 sleeved version in black and this was the kick up the bum I needed to make that happen. And as I mentioned above, I've cut the Hudson pants out as well, but KCW has got in the way of me actually sewing them together so far. 

The fabric I've used for this black version is a thin jersey knit. I wanted to see how this pattern worked  in something finer than the navy stuff I made the last one from (it worked fantastically). Actually, I think this black stuff isn't the greatest quality: it's a bit too thin and I have a feeling it'll start to go out of shape before long. But stash-busters can't be choosers! The red plastic buttons are from Le Stash. I'm not sure if they look a bit kiddie, but I'm happy looking like a children's TV presenter from time to time!

 Pattern Parcel #6: Choose your own price and support DonorsChoose. Win/win

So there isn't much more I can add other than, if you like at least one of these patterns, then you really ought to buy this parcel! It's surprising how owning some sewing patterns that you wouldn't be immediately drawn to can open up your personal style. For example, I never would have bought the Staple dress pattern, but I have worn the dress I made for parcel #3 loads and I adore it. 

Which of these patterns is your favourite? 

8 comments:

Miriam said...

thanks for banging on about this Zoe - I think it's gorgeous as a concept and such a great deal. I need to do this (and get over my fear of printing patterns as a PDF) and I need to buy your pattern too! LOVE your Bronte top too - so cute!

EmSewCrazy said...

I had the Bronte and Zsalya on my pattern wish list and was pondering maxi skirts when this bundle came up for offer. It's my first parcel buy and I'm pretty excited to try them out.

Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

Dude, the Bronte looks fabulous on you. I love the black with pop of color on the buttons. And look at your hair! You look so adorable. I can't stand it. <3

JustSewJenna said...

I love this top on you, it looks fab. I can't wait to make one but sadly I have a list of other stuff that needs doing first (although I might try and sneak it in somewhere!). I bought the parcel and am really looking forward to making everything!

SimpleFibreLife said...

Cute top. I really like the buttons. This is such a versatile top! Great job.
I think the Bronte and the Hudson are my favourite patterns from this parcel.

Caroline said...

Hi Zoe!
I have just made a navy 3/4 sleeved Bronte too! Yours is great and I love the contrasting buttons that you have used. I have put a link to yours on my blog post at:

http://carolineparadigmdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/upcycled-to-bronte.html

:-)

johnson said...

Thank you for your interesting and informative blog. I have enjoyed reading it and appreciate the work you have put into it. Here is some relevant information for you to review .
Kids Tactical Vests

jacob20martin said...

I like such tops a lot. This neck is very much comfortable. I bought some from the local store and also got it delivered to my sister. She is like a blessing to me and so I get things for her which I find really good. She is sick these days and I also took help of medical courier deliveries for sending her meds that are important to her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...