Saturday 23 April 2011

Me-Made/Self-Stitched Challenges 2011: Update!!!



Hi peops! Time for a bit of housekeeping. With Me-Made-March '11 in the bag, I realise it's high time I officially disclosed my plans for the rest of the year regarding the organisation of more Me-Made/Self-Stitched challenges.

Lots of lovely peops have been commenting that they would like to take part in further challenges this year and have been asking if I will be hosting Me-Made-May '11. As discussed on the MMMar '11 Flickr group, it has generally been agreed that May is too close to the recently completed March challenge; that there will not be enough time to implement the lessons learnt from MMMar '11 by those who participated and wish to do so again. Afterall, there seems to be little point in simply recreating March, same garments, same outfits, same photos. I think everyone who got involved in the previous challenges will want to sense some progress and development if they chose to partipate again. So, I'm going to organise another challenge in June.

June should provide significantly different weather than March for most parts of the globe, I'd imagine, which should give the next challenge a different flavour to the last. The problem is: what to call it?! As fond as I clearly am of alliteration, there just isn't anything as catchy as Me-Made-March/May or Self -Stitched-September. So I need your help people. I've got three options so far, and would love to hear your thoughts on them or any other suggestions you can come up with:

Me-Made-June: Abandones all alliteration, but it 'does what it says on the tin' (do you have to be from the UK to get that cultural reference, I wonder?). By which I mean, everyone already aquainted with these challenges will know what it's about at a glance.

Just-By-Me-June: This name, IMO, would lend itself very well to a more hardcore version of these challenges, i.e, the participants only wear stuff made by them. But I don't want this challenge in any way to exclude those who plan on challenging themselves to wearing one self-stitched garment per day.

Just-Sew-June: As suggested by MMMar '11 participant KC Sheehan. I like this one a lot but I was concerned it might imply that knitted/crochetted or any other form of me-mades aren't welcome. Am I over-analysising this?!

So, your thoughts are clearly very necessary on this naming matter. Please comment to help me get the ball rolling for the next challenge. I have the very important job coming up of choosing the right font for the task!

FYI, I also plan to do this again in September, so relax, I've got that name covered!

19 comments:

K.Line said...

I like Just Sew June - you can always put a little asterisk next to it and indicate that it includes all garment crafts.

acandiedapple said...

I also like Just Sew June. It's cute and I think everyone will get that you can wear anything you created.

Stevie said...

Zoe! I have been frantically sewing since you mentioned this the other day! I think I should be able to participate by June! YAY!
I like Just Sew June!
x

Ana Stepalica said...

Can't wait for the next challenge! I'm sorry I'm not very helpful with the name, I'm not as good with words. Just Sew June seems fine to me.

julia said...

I am all for me-made-june. As a new sewer that relies on handknits to get me throught the month "just-sew-june" "sounds" like more pressure. But whatever the name, I'll try to participate and get some sewing done until then.

Magpie Mimi said...

I like Just Sew June and Just by me June, either will do as it's the personal pledges we make that signifies if it's sewn or crocheted or knitted or whatever. Did anyone have a problem with Self Stitched September as that implies only stitching?

Cecili said...

Lol I can't believe that I've been thinking exactly about this this week! I was wondering should you ever move the date for our self made challenges, how could you call them?!! And since I'm a bit old-fashioned I prefer Me-Made-June...

Anonymous said...

one vague concern I have about me made june is if it is shortened to m-m-j without the dashes, it may draw unwanted attention. Here in my state those three letters indicate medically prescribed 'recreational' drug of the smoking variety. I am totally dancing around the correct word. Anywho, you might experience an increase in blog hits with the shortened version by those not into sewing. Perhaps Self Made June?

Kestrel said...

I like Me Made June, or, to add another option to the mix, you could have 'Just Stitch June', which might more easily incorporate knitting and crochet?

Whatever it's called, I will be participating for the first time. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

How about Handmade June? If not, I like Just Sew June quite a lot. I'm in on this challenge, for sure!

Unknown said...

I like Kestrel's idea of 'Just Stitch-June' :)
I hope to able to participate in June. I had best get sewing! I currently have the grand total of 3 skirts! Though I have plans for 2 more skirts (can you tell I have problems with fitting my top half? skirts are so much easier to fit!) and a nearly finished blouse. It was certainly a challenge to get the fit right!
Ashley x

Tilly said...

I like Sarah's idea of Handmade June, otherwise simple Me Made June. Something about "Just Sew" that sounds a little corny, maybe because I associate it with an old fashioned sewing shop.

shams said...

I am not above bringing in a little french. "J'ai créé ce, June" means "I created this, June" OK, not very good, but maybe some variation on this. :)

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, this has been bugging me all afternoon. Thanks a bunch Zo!!
Me Made sits well with any month really. It's just extra cool when paired with months beginning with M!
Keep thinking "Own Sewn ..." has potential...dunno. Also, I don't think using a derivative of "sew" will preclude knitted/crochet stuff. I don't think anyone will do you under Trades Desciptions or anything ;) Whatever you go for it'll be great fun and always interesting. I was so inspired by the last challenge.
Px

Tasia said...

I like Me-Made-June, because everyone is familiar with the Me-Made story and concept. But I'm in, whatever the name is! :)

Jane said...

I prefer Handmade June or Me Made June, I think Just Sew June is alliteration for the sake of it, and it doesn't really convey the essence of the challenge - it definitely seems to exclude knitting etc, and the main idea I take from the title is that we do nothing else in June, just sew. If you want to retain a bit of the alliteration, how about Just Made by me June? I think there is still a bit of a problem with this as it seems to imply that only things just made recently are OK.

KC said...

I actually think I prefer Me Made June even though I'm proud to be quoted as the origin of Just Sew June. I'm looking forward to it, whatever we call it!

Jane said...

My preference is Me Made June. I think Me-Made is almost a brand now, so it doesn't matter if June isn't an alliteration! I also like Handmade June but only because it sounds very like Handmade Jane!
And yes, I'll be participating for the first time too! Can't wait! x

The Attached Mama said...

I love the alliteration so I cast my vote for.....

JUST SEW JUNE!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...