Thursday 15 July 2010

At Colette Patterns: 'Mid-Century Kimono Sleeves'


In case you haven't figured it out, here's my general formular for writing a post for the Colette Patterns blog:
  • Uncover an element of sewing, clothing or style that I hadn't realised I've actually been obsessed with for ages.
  • Research it as far as possible to put the topic into some historical and/or cultural perspective.
  • Put forward my argument as to why I think it's the shit.
  • Discuss the applications/variations/methods.
  • Spend WAY too long searching google images and Flickr for supportive images, and then realise that there in fact only enough space to cram one sixth of the total images I found into the final post.

Indeed that is the formular that I used for my post on Mid-Century Kimono sleeves. Having declared all this, I'll probably do something completely different for the next post, but of course rules are made to be broken, are they not?

7 comments:

kms handmade said...

That's funny! I loved reading all about the history of the sleeves and the backup pics! Then I realized I had just made a Butterick pattern that used that style of sleeve. I felt enlightened! :)

Celkalee said...

I felt the article was great. More of the same works for me. You inspire me and I need all I can get. Keep up the great work!

Minnado said...

I really enjoy reading the Collette articles you write, seeing the pictures and always learn something new! Look forward to more :)

Jessica said...

Oh man - I swear, I recently got JUST enough FANTASTIC vintage fabric to make THIS EXACT top, which I swear I've been psychic-ly fantasizing about EVER since and it's FORCING me to use CAPS UNNECESSARILY! Can you tell me the name of the pattern this illustration is from? LOVE it!

Miles Of Style said...

great article!

just stumbled across your blog and i have to say its LOVELY! do drop by mine too when you have some time. perhaps we can follow each other! =)

Persis.
http://www.onestylemile.blogspot.com/

Zoe said...

I'm really sorry Jessica, I have no idea which pattern this image is from. I probably found it on flickr by typing 'vintage pattern kimono sleeve'. I've seen some very similar to this on Etsy though, you should try doing a search of the same phrase and see what comes up. It was such a popular style, I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find a version in your size.

Kestrel said...

Interesting, I hadn't realised what defined a kimono sleeve. Now I know, I will definitely look out for them on patterns I buy, as I love that look!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...