Tuesday 29 March 2016

Considering Spring Sewing Plans: Plus, Some News

(how good is this photo?! I was hoping to loosely recreate the dress on the right using the By Hand London Kim dress pattern and some Hawaiian print cotton)

As someone who general HATES to be told what to do, and has always tended to sew whatever I feel like at whim, I am amazed at how diligently I completed the nippy weather sewing plans that I set myself last Autumn. It definitely helped that during this time I kept my kiddie-sewing projects entirely whim-led, which I used to intersperse the adult projects.

(utterly amazing African wax fabric Megan dress made by Norse Otter, so inspirational!)

So having completed all those, I'm now thinking about what set of sewing plans would be great to move my wardrobe into spring and summer. To be honest, I actually started day dreaming about this back in November! However, I'm sadly going to have to put plans for two Tilly and the Buttons Megan dresses (one plain navy and one in African wax fabric), a couple of pairs of Deer and Doe Chataigne shorts, a bunch of cute little vintage-style blouses, a Hawaiian By Hand London Kim dress, and finally getting closer to great fitting trousers on hold for now, because (dramatic pause...) I'm pregnant!

(oh perfect stripy little blouse, my preliminary toiling has ceased. Let's hope  that next year I can remember what I was up to)  

As those of you who trawled through my many maternity wear blog posts last time round will no doubt be aware, I didn't really have a clue of what to expect, what I'd need and what I could or should make for my last pregnancy. This time should be quite a different experience. Not only do I still own the items that I made and wore for my previous pregnancy (when my sister-in-law gives them back!), but I know what I felt most comfortable in so should be able to focus my efforts much more usefully this time round. PLUS, seasonally I know what I'm in for as well because the current due date is only two days away from Dolores's. Touch wood, all being well, I will be busting out a healthy little peop around the end of September/beginning of October.

(one of the fabrics from Le Stash that I selected for the Chataigne shorts pattern, what fabric would you make this pattern in?)

All that being said, one key difference with this pregnancy compared to the last is that I started to show at an alarmingly (to me) early stage. I'm already feeling the pinch, literally, of not fitting into much of my clothing. On my bottom half I'm currently limited to one pair of slightly-too-small maternity jeans that have been leant to me by a friend, and my mustard mariniere trousers with the front folded down a little bit (strong look). I need to hatch a few clever sewing plans to expand the selection of items that I already own, and also make some things that will hopefully be useful after this pregnancy as well. I'll return with my conclusions after the sign-up post for this year's #mmmay16!

39 comments:

Knitlass said...

HUGE Congrats!! I did have a sneaking suspicion when maternity wear started to pop up on your blog, hahahahahha. Great news :-)

As for showing earlier, yes - that happened to me too! I was neat and trim with baby no 1, and then with baby no 2, my bump grew at a different speed, about 4 weeks ahead of bump 1. I'll spare you the details of what happened with baby no 3 ;-) #blimp

Don't any of your lovely skirts fit your bump?

Knitwitsowls said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Aww Dolores is going to have a lil sibling ! May I suggest matching outfits x

Clio said...

Congrats! I know what you mean about knowing what works better the second time. I love everything I sewed for my pregnancy, but a lot of it didn't transition into post-partum needs very well (ie: I couldn't nurse in it). If I ever decide to have another child, I'll have a better idea of what to sew.

Fiona said...

Congratulations!!! What about Gertie's Jersey pencil skirt - could this be adapted for pregnancy? I wore mine up to about 16 weeks before the elastic was too tight. I have found that Jersey dresses are the most comfy and recommend the Collette Moneta dress. At 8 months pregnant, I'm still wearing the two I made last spring pre-pregnancy Xx

Wakeymakes said...

Marvellous news. Keep well and healthy. Don't take on too much (that's the mum in me speaking) enjoy K xXx

Theresa said...

Congratulations, how exciting. It'll be interesting to see how your maternity wardrobe planning and wearing is altered this time around. Don't panic too much about showing early, it doesn't necessarily mean that your bump will continue to grown that much faster, just that it got off to an early start.
I have that shorts pattern too, I'm planning on making it with a stretchy band section instead of the waistband/yoke section, my little one is due the start of July and I won't be back into normal clothes until Autumn (if I'm lucky) so I should have a good span of wearing them and hopefully they'll look intentional and not too baggy bum maternity - shudder!
Take care and keep well.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm sure those on-hold sewing plans can wait another year - it sometimes takes me years to get around to a project anyway! Looking forward to seeing your maternity sewing projects & plans

Almost a Hippy said...

Congratulations on baby number 2!

Red W Sews said...

Congratulations! Second time around is totally different, I'd been wearing maternity trousers for weeks before we told people after the 12 week scan! Hope you're feeling well

wendy said...

Great news Zoe! Congratulations xx

Birgitte said...

Congrats, how exciting!

Dr Susan said...

Congratulations!!!! Its much easier second time around!

Vickimostlysews said...

Congratulations Zoe! So exciting! Also, I love those exuberant ladies, they're having the time of their lives.

Katie said...

Congratulations!! As I'm also pregnant, I'm super excited to see what you sew up! And Me Made May 2016 will be fun/interesting for both of us! :D

Kristina said...

Congratulations! So happy for you! Looking forward to your maternity and beyond sewing projects :)

Elisabeth said...

Congratulations! I had a feeling, seeing as you posted a maternity wear post recently ;)

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Congrats to you and Pat and Dolores! xo

JustSewJenna said...

Big congratulations!!! such exciting news! Have you considered dungarees or dungaree dresses? They will still fit after for feeding but they won't be tight on your waistline. Big hugs xxxx

tialys said...

As soon as I saw the words 'some news' in your title I knew what it would be. Big congratulations to you, Pat and Dolores.

nicolahulks said...

Congratulations! I had to shelve so many sewing projects when I found out I was expecting. Now everything is jersey jersey jersey! A couple of cocos in a good stretch fabric have done me really well so far! :)

nicolahulks said...

Congratulations! I had to shelve so many sewing projects when I found out I was expecting. Now everything is jersey jersey jersey! A couple of cocos in a good stretch fabric have done me really well so far! :)

brooke said...

Big congratulations! I can't wait to see what you make and even more I look forward to digitally meeting your little one! Such happy times...

Zoë said...

Huge congratulations Zoe!! Looking froward to seeing your maternity makes :) xx

Allison Graden said...

Super News!! Congrats!!! Hopefully Dolores' nose will not be out of joint! As a mom of 2 girls, I'll tell you that, while matching outfits might seem like a good idea when they are small, they will never forgive you for it later LOL!

Jen said...

Congrats on the good news! Yep, your body remembers with subsequent children and you end up showing much earlier! :) When I had #4 I wanted to dig out the maternity wear at about 10 weeks, and we hadn't told the kids yet at that point.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I also suspected when you started to talk about maternity wear. So exciting :)

Helen said...

Congratulations! Exciting news. I hope you are keeping well. X

Miriam said...

Wonderful news Zoe, all the very best to you all as you prepare to expand your family again. May you have the happiest and healthiest of pregnancies. As for maternity wear I'm sure you'll do it with your usual style and pizzaz xxxx

Kathryn said...

Congratulations Zoe!! That's brilliant news! I'm sure you'll have a super stylish, and colourful, maternity wardrobe! xx

Alessa said...

:-) Ooh, congratulations! It'll be fun to see what you sew up this time around!

Unknown said...

What fabulous news. Exciting times ahead for all of you. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Wow it looks terrific. The fit looks so good and the length is perfect. No wonder you are so pleased with it. A great sewing patterns

Birgit said...

Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I loved following your maternity makes last time around and look forward to what you come up with this time.

Cucicucicoo: Eco Crafting & Sewing said...

Ooh, I'd totally missed this, and when I read what you said in your latest post I had to go back and find the news! Congratulations, Zoe!! Fantastic news! :) Lisa

velosews said...

Oh wow. Great news. So happy for you. A bigger family means loads more love to pass around.

Christals Creations said...

Congratulations. X

Hazel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jodi Wade said...

Wonderful news! Congratulations!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...