Thursday 12 September 2019

Panda Pants!


I'm so into busting fabric scraps at the moment, that I've started busting other people's scraps too! After talking to my lovely colleague Linda about my sewing plans for my 2yo, Frankie, she very kindly brought me in a bag containing pieces of leftover fabric from some of her sewing projects. Her own daughter is now a teenager, so using scraps by making tiny-people clothes isn't on Linda's agenda. I was the grateful recipient of some lovely pieces, including this awesome panda Ponte Roma. When I brought it home and told Frankie I was going to make him some trousers for him out of it, he wrapped it round himself and was annoyed when I kept telling him that it wasn't ready for him to wear just yet!


Pattern:

Coincidentally, I had just received the offer to review some sewing patterns/ebooks by German kids' sewing pattern brand Koko & Dolores. They offer a small-but-ever-so-fun range of styles, to make the kind of clothing that you see the kids of super cool families wearing in the playground! But before I even saw their patterns I was into them because of their name 😉. I decided to try the Big Easy pattern: loose, harem-style trousers designed for knit fabrics which provide a great canvas for a fabulous print.

(image source: Koko & Dolores)

These ebooks are written in German, which I do NOT speak or understand, but the instructions include such clear illustrative photos that I had zero trouble putting these together. The Big Easy pants pattern is graded between sizes 86 and 116, which translates to height in centimetres. And priced at just € 4.90, it's a major bargain. 


Fabric:

As previously mentioned, I used a Ponte Roma fabric for the front and back leg pattern pieces, as well as for the ankle cuffs. To get the pattern pieces to fit the leftovers, plus keep the pandas the right way up, I had to add a centre back seam rather than cut the back piece on the fold as per the original pattern. Although this Ponte has moderate stretch (for a Ponte), I knew it wouldn't have enough stretch and recovery for the waistband. 


The waist is finished with a band of fabric, no elastic involved, so I needed to use something with a hefty elastane/Lycra/spandex content for sufficient stretch and recovery. I had some scraps of solid black cotton/Lycra jersey from Girl Charlee that worked perfectly. I love a fabric band waistband for ease of construction, plus it allows for lots of growing room. However, it has to be said that the trousers don't stay up quite as securely as they would do if elastic was inserted. 


I'm pretty sure that the samples shown on the Koko & Dolores website also use jersey for the leg pieces as well. And I'd be really interested to see this pattern sewn up with the leg pieces made from a light weight woven, double gauze perhaps. I must admit that I have little experience of combining stretchy knits and wovens in the same garment...


Thoughts:

We all adore these trousers! When Mr SoZo is dressing Frankie, it's almost always the panda pants that he reaches for, if they are clean. And when given a choice, Frankie himself usually chooses them too. The volume gives him lots of room to move and play: freedom of movement should always be the most important criteria in children's clothes, IMO. I'll definitely reach for this pattern again in the future, and and when another suitable fabric crosses my path. 


5 comments:

Jo said...

That is a success if he chooses them. The amount of things I have made for my number two girl who has not worn them is a disgrace. Good choice of fabric and pattern. Jo x

Caz.P. said...

never mind the pants....(although they are great).....what a natural little model. He looks like he is enjoying himself. He is gorgeous !

Janice Aliena said...

I read a comment online of a Los Angeles based Journalist Reveals How She find a boyfriend, 2 months after Her ex boyfriend broke up.
I send a email message to contact same Dr.Amiso because i have this Powerful Intentions that things will work for me, i believed in testimonies are real life proves. I realized this would be good to share here as I know it will inspire others too.
fortunate enough for me i came across Dr. Amiso email contact on a blog post. Today i'm testifying with joy and happiness to the world ... this is one of the most joyful moment of my life. Dr.Amiso the Great-Love-Spell, Lunched a spell on my behalf to recover my ex-husband with his spell of magic and love-enchantment spell.
I'm married for over 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating on me and was looking for a divorce, we broke-up before 3 months ago and we came back again after so much begging with nice gifts of love.
I love my husband so much. I couldn't have done anything to hurt him or make him feel bad anymore..i just wanted him back to loving me forever. today we are both living happily together.i love him so much. My point is, he was my first love (at least that’s what it feels like).
i'm grateful and thankful to this great man. I was at first having fear of doubt, but i give it a try and it work for my good. I'm certain this will work for you as well, 100% sure.
contact him through his personal email via (herbalisthome01@gmail.com)
he has the Powers to resolve the following relationship issues; -
* Love Spells Win-Back Ex lover, Get Wealthy & Stay Forever With You.
* Success & promotion magic spell, No One Else Except You Alone.
* Traditional herbs and roots to cure Breast Cancer, Body, Mouth & Virginal Odor / Discharge.
* Magic spell for Breast & Penis Enlargement / Reduction.
* Magic enchantment to cure Stop Nightmare, & Bad Dreams.
* spiritual cleansing, Free from Assassinating & Kidnapping.
* fertility magic - FRUITS OF WOMEN, & Carry Your Own Child.
* Burning of Fat & Regulating Sugar Content in the Body.
* decreeing magic, SPELL LOTTERY & WIN-GAMES SPELL
The internet really helps a lot in providing quick and urgent solution to life problems.
here is Dr. Amiso personal email address; herbalisthome01@gmail.com

Lucy Robertson said...

those pants are so cute. you could make a dress out of the fabric...

Jason Bennett said...

I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Website (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/) Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...