Saturday 12 April 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel #2: Girl's Wear for a Good Cause

Have you heard of Perfect Pattern Parcels? Well I must admit that I hadn't until a couple of months ago, and it is a very cool thing indeed. The organisers put together a package of PDF sewing patterns along a theme which have been created by indie designers. You can then purchase the pattern parcel for a price of your choice for a limited time only, and then ALL the profits go to supporting a charity called Donors Choose which funds and supports educational projects in the US.


The current pattern parcel (#2) comprises of patterns for little girl's clothing (pictured above) and there's some real beauts in there. I chose to make the September dress/tunic pattern (the turquoise garment on the left), designed by Too Sweets Patterns. I wanted to make a simple, unfussy interpretation that clearly showed the bones of the design. However, I think this pattern would also make a very good canvas for all sorts of interpretations (applied pockets, bib or ruffle details, contrast yokes, omit the sleeve sections, braid or ribbon applied in various ways etc. etc.). It's also a pretty simple make, therefore a nice project for a beginner, or a pleasingly quick make if you are a fairly experienced seamster. Either way, it's a perfect project if you are making this as a fun gift or for your own little handful.


This pattern ranges in sizes from 12 months to 10/12 years. I made the size for 2 years and will be keeping it safe for the next year and a half for a certain little missy. I made it in some lovely, good quality striped shirting that's been lurking in my stash for a couple of years. I used the stripes in different directions as the only real design addition of my own. This was also a great project to give me the kick up the bum I needed to figure out how to make buttonholes on my new (to me) sewing machine. I used 6 greyish mother of pearl buttons as the fastening up the back.


I'd definitely recommend making this pattern, such a fast and fun project. Plus I'll be making some of the other patterns for sure. If you wish to see what the other styles look like made up, check out Shawnta Sew's version of the Hosh trousers and Hanami blouse, plus she helpfully links to a whole load of the other sewing bloggers who have been making their own versions of the various patterns.


I'm totally behind this project for a number of reasons. I love that it supports and promotes independent sewing pattern designers: that is allows them an interesting, imaginative and unusual platform for us sewers to discover and use their products. The charitable element is also fantastic and I wish the whole endeavour lots of success going forwards. Remember that there is a very limited window of opportunity to purchase these super cute patterns, so if you are interested, don't delay!

4 comments:

Miriam said...

I love this idea too - will be showing a friend with little ladies in her life today.

Suzy said...

So cute! I loved making this pattern for my little girl too. The directional stripes are a brilliant idea.

Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

I love your version of the September Tunic. It's so simple and modern looking. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks great, will definitely check this out and add it to my wish list! The shirting fabric works really well too. I have a couple of my husband's old shirts that I've been wondering what to do with...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...