So here's the thing. I made this top perhaps only three weeks after using the same pattern to make my grey Tova dress. What I didn't bank on was the rapid and unpredictable growth spurt my boobs were about to embark on. Damn. And whilst the grey dress inexplicably manages to just about fit several weeks after that (and still just about fits ok), this cotton top was too tight from the very first try-on.
I'm pretty gutted because I really took time and care over making this top. I used some lovely cotton ikat fabric that had been lurking in my stash for the best part of a year, pre-washing it to avoid heart-breaking shrinkages. I figured out the (not automatic) button hole function of my new-to-me sewing machine and made a functioning button stand on this version when I felt after the last one that it would have been a beneficial addition. There was a small sleeve-based trauma when it turned out I didn't have sufficient fabric to accommodate my initial plans, resulting in a disappointing mid-way version and then lots of unpicking and re-working of the sleeves into what you see now. In short, I poured a whole heap of love into this make.
Anyways, enough moaning. It's not warm enough to wear such a light weight garment here in the UK anyway (at least not for a chilly-boned person like me). I misjudged my changing pregnant body and learnt a lesson: jersey or some element of stretch from now on! Plus who is not to say that one day my boobs will return to something approaching their original dimensions and I'll be able to get some use from it. If not, expect another giveaway round these parts!