Monday 25 March 2013

Mustard Marinière Trousers


AT LAST!!! I gathered some inspiration, learnt some stylistic lessons and finally did something about it! By trawling the depths of La Marinière tumblr and Pinterest, I learnt how good two of my style obsessions, Breton tops and mustard-yellow, could work when put together. 

Source: dofgstyle.com via Zoe on Pinterest


I created my 'Outstanding Outfits' Pinterest board to help me figure out how to work nice garments into interesting outfits, something I've never felt very skilled at. I have to say that pinning outfit pics that my instinct says are successful, then making myself analyse the components has been really useful in getting an idea of how my own wardrobe orphans and potential future makes could work. This board was filling up with variations of this Breton/mustard-yellow combination.



There comes a point when the quantity of the same damn image really needs to be acted upon! I even had some lovely mustard stretch twill-type fabric in my stash that I bought at the tail end of last year. As I've discussed at numerous points on this blog, I basically try to sew solely from my stash of second-hand fabric, but when visiting a certain fabric shop in Brighton to pick up a zip I saw this fabric and knew I had to make a couple of metres of it mine.



So after the semi-success of my Ultimate cropped trousers, I knew I finally had a good starting point to entrust my precious mustard fabric to. As stated in that blog post, I had to make a further couple of changes to the pattern: raising the front rise as the waistline dipped down at the front, adding 1 cm to each side seam and lengthening the legs to full length. I also drafted a little faux pocket flap for a bit of extra detail. The pocket flat is stitched down at the top with the point trapped down by stitching the button on top.


So what are my thoughts on these, what could be my ideal trousers? My thoughts are they are damned close to perfect. The overall fit came out looser and more casual than I was aiming for. Before these pics were taken I actually pinched 1 cm out from the inside leg which improved things a lot. I think this is because, whilst the grey version were too tight, this mustard fabric has more stretch in it than the grey so the extra width I added to the side seams might not have been necessary after all. But I do like the casual fit, they are so comfy and I've already worn them several times in less than a week! So they might not be the slick, sexy mustard skinnies I was aiming for, but they have already proven to be very wearable, and you really can't ask more than that from a garment can you?!


The other 'flaw', for want of a better word, is that this version inexplicable gapes a little at the waistline at the centre back. This is something I'll address when making another version. And I'm positive there will be other versions. As I wrote when blogging about the grey cropped version, I really think I have found the most successful starting point for trousers for me. That's one giant leap for me-made kind! 

So to put things in terms of The Jar, (and what other terms are there, ultimately?) I can happily say that I have created not only another wearable garment, but one that has been on my mind and my Pinterest board for way too long! So I make that four wearable garments so far this year, and seeing as it's still March, that kind of puts me a garment ahead, month-wise. Therefore now I'm going to spend some time giving thanks to and appeasing the sewing gods by completing some mending and repairs and embarking on a selfless sewing project. 
http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-ultimate-cropped-trousers.html

29 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Fabulously awesome outfit Zoe. You've got the look perfectly, and it looks bright enough for spring! The trousers are a great fit, and it's funny isn't it how different fabric behaves in different ways - trousers like this almost need individual fitting each time. ( Doesn't seem fair does it ?!) x

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I love love love these trousers! The mustard colour and the faux pocket! Simply brilliant. They also look amazing with that stripey top! I'd love to see what else you've been styling it with Zoe.

Christina said...

Congratulations! The trousers are lovely and the outfit is, too. :D
And an extra -"Yay" for having fun with pintrest as an important step to create a wearable garment that closes a gap. You are a wizzard!

Tamsin said...

These look fantastic! Well done for figuring out a good fit. You say they are not as skinny as you would like, but I think they are super flattering and I love that colour.

Uta said...

Fabulous outfit! Zoe, you and your stripey tops have really gotten into my head. I find myself wearing stripey tops all the time now (even made one, not blogged yet) which is all due to your style inspiration!

katherine h said...

Fabulous outfit! Studying your style inspirations has really paid off!

shivani said...

Zoe this is a perfect outfit in my books! The trousers are fab - I'm sure you'll wear them always!

And what is it with stripey tops? I feel like there's no such thing as too many ... x

Unknown said...

Beautiful colour! So classic and perfect!

I am deffo making these!

Bundana x

Stevie said...

They are stunning Zoe! I am loving that fabric. Mustard is one of my fave colours too! I would love some trousers like that in my wardrobe. Great Job x

sonia said...

Great color combo and very spiffy for Spring!

Freya May said...

Hey Zoe, I love these trousers, the colour especially :D I'm still afraid of trousers, but I've got them in my sights to have a go later in the year.
Freya May
thedressmakingdiaries.blogspot.com

Claire said...

Love em! You look amazing in them, and I especially love the little front pocket.

Sew little time said...

lovely! that outfit is so you! that's such a great fit.

Cecili said...

Your trousers are excellent, they fit so well! I also love the mustard colour and pocket detail of course^^

lisa g. said...

great job on the pants! i love the pocket flap detail.

Kelly said...

ooh, looks great! The pants themselves and the outfit :) I like the slightly relaxed fit, very flattering.

Michelle said...

LOVE the combination. This is a complete success from where I sit. You executed this ensemble beautifully.

Marie said...

Oooh la la, lady! Looking gooood! This is a gorgeous pairing and your trouser-making skills are awesome!!!

Rochelle New said...

Such an amazing color!! You can't really go wrong with mustard colored trousers. They look amazing. Well done!

Tilly said...

Gorgeous! (Both the troozers and thee) xx

Anonymous said...

OMGosh!! You are so cute in your new mustard trousies!!! I love them!

Anonymous said...

What a cute outfit! The trousers look fab, and very you! You've really nailed figuring out what you like and how to translate that to your handmade garments!

Philippa said...

Love your new trousers Zoe! I think the straighter cut looks very cool x

Erika said...

Gorgeous! Love the fit of the pants, and the colour is wonderful. I never would have thought to mix yellow pants with a breton top, but it looks fantastic!

LLBB said...

these look soooo wearable! Even though you didn't get as much of the skinnies look as you were going for, I think these strike a nice balance between skinny enough to look sharp and loose enough to wear all the time. hopefully it works out for you this way, and you still get the originally intended pair eventually!

Lovenicky said...

You are really rocking those pieces! Mustard looks great on you!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic, these look brilliant! Your inspiration pics are lovely and you really rock the look.

Unknown said...

This is a really super post. Must admit that you are amid the best writer I have read. I appreciate your making the effort to discuss this class of article.
y8gold , https://sites.google.com , frivallgames

dinhpham said...

Zoe this is a perfect outfit in my books! The trousers are fab - I'm sure you'll wear them always!
Y8 Arcade
Yepi 2017
Friv 2017
Kizi Games
Y8 Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...