A couple of months ago I set myself a challenge to develop a peplum skirt. I'd been adding peplums to top styles using jersey and I wanted to see how I could translate it into woven fabric on the lower half.
I clearly cared enough about my little experiment to have taken photographs of the result, but not enough to have remembered to share the pics until I was reminded of the project last week. I was flicking through the Topshop website to keep an eye on 'what the kids are into these days', when I saw a few skirts (including the one pictured below) that looked very similar.
Surprisingly, the basis for the skirt was McCalls M5590, the same pattern that I made my denim high waist bow skirt from. The peplum was drafted in a very similar manner to those jersey tops, but with the main difference being how it was constructed and applied to the rest of the garment.
Satisfyingly, the Topshop versions appear to have dealt with the fastening issue in the same way I did, by inserting a centre back zip with a split in the peplum. What I like about my version above Topshop' is that my peplum is not the same depth all the way around and I feel the deeper dimension at the back gives a nice balance to the garment.
The element of my version that I am unhappy with is the visible dart lines that form the waist shaping. If I'd used a skirt pattern with a waistband, Burdastyle's Jenny skirt for example, to apply the peplum to, I would have eliminated those visible dart lines.