Friday 20 July 2012

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Sailor Collar T-shirt


This week's Refashion Friday inspiration comes from a look that's close to my heart: nautical! This sailor collar top was created using two second-hand men's white T-shirts and one second-hand checked shirt. One of the white T-shirts was re-cut to form the front and back body pieces, and incorporated the original hem. The second T-shirt was used to cut out the sleeves, also using the existing hem. 


I took the collar pattern from this vintage 1960s Simplicity pattern. Stripey fabric would also have given a suitably sea-worthy effect. The front and back pieces of the vintage sewing pattern were used as a guide to determine the neckline shape required to fit the collar piece. I made a centre front seam in this T-shirt to make the application of the collar quick and easy.


A contrast ribbon adds an extra pop of colour. A few gold buttons would also have been cute. 


17 comments:

Kirsty said...

I couldn't love this anymore!!! So great.

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Adorable!!!!

Becky said...

That looks so cute! Such a great idea for the checked collar.

Becky
xx

http://www.beckybedbug.com

Anna | Mormor hade stil said...

I love it! I'm in the midst of refashioning some of my own old clothes making new versions for my kids. This would be great for my daughter.

Sewing by Shirley said...

What a great idea!

Kate said...

One of the best re-fashions you've done! SO LOVELY!

Tilly said...

Cuteness! You promise to wear it with knee-high socks, right? xx

Make It Happen Mama said...

Oh my goodness, this is so cute! I'm definitely pinning this on my project inspiration board. Thank you for sharing! :-)

quietandsmalladventures said...

OMG! i totally had a sailor romper just like the white one on that pattern envelop as a small child, except it zipped up the front! i love that you used that as the inspiration for the shirt, your endless inspiration is amazing!!

Lynn said...

What a great idea! I have never envisioned a sailor collar in plaid but it really works.

Custom Tshirts said...

Nice idea.I really enjoyed this type of blog..I want to share this beautiful sites to my friends.Thanks for the post.

Custom Tshirts

Bomber Jackets said...

Such a casual and cool outfit! Beautiful pictures and background:)

Unknown said...

Nice Post

T Shirts India

website design company said...

Read your work, I feel you're good, writing is very good and very fortunate enough to see your article, hope to see you next time of work!

Jodhpuri suits said...

This is my very first time i visit right here. I found so numerous interesting stuff in your weblog particularly its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment right here! keep up the good function.

Unknown said...

Custom t-shirts can get unutterably cool towards the seemingly unprecedented. The choice is completely with the consumer how the personalized t-shirts need to look.

Personilzed t Shirt | Womens t Shirts

Invibrations said...

Hi Nice post,
Thanks for providing a lot of information.


Design Product

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...