Sunday 29 July 2012

Denim High Waist Bow Skirt. Plus: Me-Made-Outfit of the Week


Me-Mades:
Denim high waisted skirt 
Pants (knickers) 

Today's post is a double-bubble in the sense that I'm unveiling a new creation which was also part of my most successful me-made outfit worn this week.


Like many of her blog readers, I too was captivated by Gertie's Emma outfit, the orange bow skirt in particular. I'd squirrelled the inspirational image away in my brain for a couple of years until recently. I don't get on with skirts or trousers with a straight waistband, I find them too restricting and uncomfortable after a few hours, so that has precluded me from a lot of traditional pencil skirt patterns that have come across my radar. I'd begun to experiment with this 1990s McCall's M5590 pattern (pictured below) which has an awesome hourglass silhouette with a sexy vintage-y high waistline. This pattern finishes the waist edge with a facing instead of a waistband which I find to be much more accommodating.


I'd also been making lots of fabric bows at work to apply to various garments, so the elements kind of all came together to make this creation. I wanted a big substantial bow to emphasise this kitschy detail. The denim is fairly light-weight and should soften up even more after a couple of washes. I used a chunky metal-tooth zip and this combined with the denim fabric creates a nice juxtaposition with the feminine silhouette and bow detail of this garment. 


I chose the longest length of skirt included in this pattern which I think of as quite a 1940s length. I also omitted the back vent in favour of a time-saving back slit instead. I'm really excited to see how this garment fades after some wears and washes. 




23 comments:

Sewing by Shirley said...

Beautiful! Your bow looks absolutely perfect!

Kirsty said...

You look fabo! The bow is gorgeous. You might need to do a tutorial for the bows on one of your refashion Fridays!!!

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

I LOVE this!!!

poppykettle said...

Love the skirt! you look lovely in the high waisted look :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely skirt!
Bravo!
Have a good day!

Kat said...

Great skirt, it gives you such a flattering shape and I really like it in the denim. Fab :)

Roisin Muldoon said...

This is garsh-darned FABULOUS, Zoe! I think the length is perfect and you look absolutely smoking in it, well done!

Miriam said...

you look absolutely adorable I LOVE this skirt.

niddetissus said...

I love it - that's a great silhouette on you!

Ginny said...

Ooh I love it! Very flattering and the bow just adds something else to it.

Claire (aka Seemane) said...

Great skirt Zoe!

Love the Bow - did you have to interface it? If not will it too soften with repeated washes?

Becky said...

That is so adorable!

Becky
xx

http://www.beckybedbug.com

Clare said...

Aaaah, I love this! Looks gorgeous on you and I love the combo of high waist and lower bow, it's very flattering and cute.

I'm seconding the request for a tutorial for this kind of bow - please!

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

You look cracking! Love the combo :) xxx

Mode Chocolat said...

She is gorgeous! Congratulations! Best of all, she'll look great!

Anonymous said...

Wow, gorgeous and very flattering! You've swayed me, a high-waisted pencil skirt has now been added to my to-sew-list. I love it in denim and that bow really finishes it off. The zip is great too, giving it a modern twist

Meg the Grand said...

I love this whole outfit!! The Sencha is so lovely (I may have to use your steps for simplifying on my next one), and that skirt is positively divine!

Sara Noemi said...

Such a fan of skirts with bows!!

Helen Made said...

WOW I love this outfit! That skirt is fantastic and it looks great with the sencha blouse. I've been eying up Gertie's bow skirt for a while now too wondering whether to make one for myself.

Unknown said...

So cute! I love the high waist and bow!

Amanda
waysidewaists.blogspot.com

Juliette said...

Your skirt is great and looks lovely with the Sencha, and I love how you dressed it down with the flip-flops. Great combination!

frk.bustad said...

It's such a perfect skirt! The yellow version also, but this is my favourite of the two. Just a question: Did you have to do a lot of alterations to the pattern?

Candice DeVille said...

This is FANTASTIC! I must make one immediately!
That is a really original and edgy take on the look, just the sort of thing I get loads of wear from. Thanks for the inspiration and all the detail you've shared.

I hope you don't mind, but I've shared you're great post on my FB page too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...