Sunday 24 April 2011

June Challenge: Named!!!

Thanks everyone who contributed to yesterday's debate on what the hell to call the next Me-Made/Self-Stitched challenge coming up in June. It soon became clear, however, that there isn't a single name that everyone prefers and that, as with everything in life, I'm not going to be able to please everyone!

This weekend is a beautiful sunny bank holiday here in UK. Yesterday I was out and about, doing this and that and making the most of the lovely weather. I have one of those smart phones which (sometimes, when I feels like it) delivers me my emails so I was able to read your comments as they came in. So many opinions, so many convincing arguements! I was all, ''Ooh yes, good point', then 'Ah yes, that makes sense, then 'Indeed, I hear you'.

Initially, 'Just-Sew-June' seemed like the strongest contender, but others began to echo my concerns that it may feel excluding to crocheters and knitters. Plus, and this is my biggest concern with 'Just-Sew-June', I may suggest that this challenge is about spending most of June hunched over your sewing machine churning out garments for the sake of it. These challenges are about encouraging everyone to wear and enjoy the existing fruits of their labour; if they want to spend some time adding to their self-stitched arsenal for their own personal enjoyment, then go for gold, but it's not a specific criteria. Other potentials came up, like 'Just-Stitch-June', 'Self-Made-June', 'Handmade-June', 'Own-Sewn-June' and my personal favourite of the new contenders: 'J'ai créé ce, June'! But I can't help but think we are going a bit off-piste (plus most accessible fonts don't have the accents needed for 'créé'!).

So, I'm taking it back Old-School style and running with Me-Made-June '11. Apparantly my main concern with that was, to quote myself, 'It abandones all alliteration'. Umm, was I suffering from sun-stroke?! What's Me-Made then?! Plus, the most recent comment on yesterday's post, AKA the Last Word on this matter, was by KC Sheehan (the creator of the popular 'Just-Sew-June' variant) who stated that she prefers Me-Made-June anyhow. Little point in arguing with that, is there?!

I'll create a sign up pledge so everyone can begin pledging to participate by the end of the week, and make a blog widget/button available. So those who were racking their brains to come up with a name, stand down! Enjoy your weekend peops!

xxx

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good that you didn't go with 'J'ai créé ce, June'! It's got a grammar mistake in it! That would have bugged any French-speaking readers all month.

Hat

shams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shams said...

LOL. I was the one who suggested that, as a starting point. I don't speak French and figured someone might improve upon it.

I like your choice, it doesn't have to alliterate.

Debbie said...

I really enjoyed the Me-Made-March, my first challenge like this. June should be warmer here in Toronto so I think I have more self made outfits without going too crazy sewing between now and June! Looking forward to it!

Sølvi said...

Hurrah for Me-Made-June! I like it!

KC said...

I'm dizzy with all this international influence I seem to have. But no one should listen to me--unless I get very productive between now and then, I'll be sporting Jury-Rigged June!

Jodi Wade said...

I am looking forward to this challenge! And so glad that it is in June so I will have a little time to make some stuff for it!

Ashlee said...

YAY! I was so distressed when I didn't see anything re: Me Made May on your blog, as I have been chomping at the bit to participate in this. While I was gearing up to do a MMM on my own, now I have a month to add a few pieces, and get a lil bit of a tan for the pending photos! Cant' wait :)

Corrine said...

So glad you pushed this until June. Despite great intentions I have not been able to keep up with the Me Made challenges. I have lots and lots of summer sewing to do anyway, so hopefully I will be able to play with you all on this one. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ali said...

I began last Me-Made-May and it's been such a wonderful year. I'm looking forward to Me-Made-June -- gives me just enough time to get together some summer essentials :)

Amy said...

I had to sit out on the last couple of me-made months, but am looking forward to June!

Claire said...

I don't mind what it's called, just glad you're having another me-made month so I can finally get sewing and participate!

Becky said...

I'm really looking forward to this! I'm pretty new to reading all the sewing and creating blogs and the Me-Made-Month challenges seem, well, quite challenging but I think I can be up for it by June! This definitely gives me a bigger push to get more sewing done!

Helena said...

I think I might be able to do this one. I have lots of June clothes in my self-made wardrobe, I think I can fill a whole month of clothing. And for once I'm not a) pregnant (MMM10) or b) breast-feeding (SSS10 and MMM11)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...